Latest Celtics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Finished these two up this morning. Both are GT Knurls. One has Holly and purple heart with purple dyed maple burl end caps. The other one is the first time I have tried making 5 layer infill, made from holly and chechen, main body is Cocobolo and the end caps are gabon ebony. The cocobolo one, I'm giving to the general manager where I work as a thank you for letting us use the portable air conditioner.
IMG_1868.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Beautiful work, Ken !!

You've sure developed the techniques to get these Celtics "spot on" !! . Congratulations !!!!

jttheclockman

Love them both. Both with great precision as always. The purple heart is tough to distinguish but I am sure in person looks great for color contrast. Must have been a bear keeping that one from cross contamination of colors. Job well done. I am going to finally spin the one I have made sometime next week. Got the cap done too so will spin that too. Keep up the good work.

KenB259

Love them both. Both with great precision as always. The purple heart is tough to distinguish but I am sure in person looks great for color contrast. Must have been a bear keeping that one from cross contamination of colors. Job well done. I am going to finally spin the one I have made sometime next week. Got the cap done too so will spin that too. Keep up the good work.

The very first pen I ever made was a Purple Heart slimline , it was as purple as it could be. Every other pen I've made with Purple Heart looks more brown after it's finished. Cross contamination isn't too big of an issue, just can't sand or clean the blank with any kind of solvent.

jttheclockman

The very first pen I ever made was a Purple Heart slimline , it was as purple as it could be. Every other pen I've made with Purple Heart looks more brown after it's finished. Cross contamination isn't too big of an issue, just can't sand or clean the blank with any kind of solvent.

Yes some of this new stuff on the market is just not as pure as the older woods. That is why I hang onto most exotics I have. Even Bloodwood today is not true bloodwood. More brownish. Can not get yellowheart any more. The redheart I have is very pretty but do not have much left any more. You could try hitting the purpleheart with some heat just before finishing to help turn it purple if it is meant to be purple. I have used purpleheart on some clocks I made years ago and they looked good for a long time but turned a deep purple, never brown.

KenB259

Yes some of this new stuff on the market is just not as pure as the older woods. That is why I hang onto most exotics I have. Even Bloodwood today is not true bloodwood. More brownish. Can not get yellowheart any more. The redheart I have is very pretty but do not have much left any more. You could try hitting the purpleheart with some heat just before finishing to help turn it purple if it is meant to be purple. I have used purpleheart on some clocks I made years ago and they looked good for a long time but turned a deep purple, never brown.

Look how purple it is before I use it in a pen.
IMG_1869.JPG

jttheclockman

That is a nice color. I have seen deeper purple. But as I said. Work the pen and then either sit it in the sun for awhile or hit with heat before you go to finish and you will get it to turn back some to original color. Sometimes it will last especially if coated with a CA. But again true rainforest exotics are a different breed of wood. Have no idea where that was harvested.

KenB259

That is a nice color. I have seen deeper purple. But as I said. Work the pen and then either sit it in the sun for awhile or hit with heat before you go to finish and you will get it to turn back some to original color. Sometimes it will last especially if coated with a CA. But again true rainforest exotics are a different breed of wood. Have no idea where that was harvested.

Next time I'll try heating it up before I finish it.

Top Bottom