Latest Burl pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chriscb

Chriscb

Afternoon all,
Been busy on the lathe, here's my latest group of pens. Voids (of which there were many) filled with a mix of ground coffee, sawdust and thin CA.

Wood sanded to 240, application of Yorkshire grit and polished on wheel. Didn't want a high gloss, just some protection from handling.

Woods are Thuya Burl, American Oak Burl, and Yew Burl.

Closed length - 150 mm to 158 mm
Open length - 144 mm to 152 mm
No step.
Bock #6 nibs

As ever, thoughts and critiques please.

Cheers,
Chriscb

PTsite__0000_Layer 8.jpgPTsite__0001_Layer 7.jpgPTsite__0002_Layer 6.jpgPTsite__0003_Layer 5.jpgPTsite__0004_Layer 4.jpgPTsite__0005_Layer 3.jpgPTsite__0006_Layer 2.jpgPTsite__0007_Layer 1.jpgPTsite__0008_Layer 1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

Wow, those are really gorgeous, Chris. Thanks for posting pictures of your work.

So, different color ebonite for sleeves, or is that a different material?

I've not seen Yew burl before. Pretty wild!

Chriscb

Wow, those are really gorgeous, Chris. Thanks for posting pictures of your work.

So, different color ebonite for sleeves, or is that a different material?

I've not seen Yew burl before. Pretty wild!
Hey thanks for that. I think these are perhaps the best set of Burls I've turned for a while. I think the White Oak pen stunning and unusual. But turning this group of pens was nerve racking, with voids and cracks appearing as the wood was being turned down. A long slow process.

OK.. yes I should have noted that - all the pens were lined with acrylic. The sections have steel inners, threaded for a Bock nib
(from Beaufortink.co.uk).

Regards,
Chriscb

Chriscb

Exquisit blanks! Like the "satin" finish.
Thank you so much - I'm not a fan of a glossy finish on wood. I want to be able to feel the indentations of the wood, and in the Thuya pens case, catch the aroma as I'm using the pen. I save the deep shine for acrylics et al.

Regards,
Chriscb

d_bondi

WOW Chris, these are stunning!

The steel sleeves for the sections is a great idea and something I had not considered.

Was the Yorkshire Grit and buffing the end of your finishing process?

Bravo!!

~Sorry didn't think about the fact that I was posting on the original thread. I'll pay better attention next time.

Chriscb

Hey thank you. Yes - the Yorkshire Grit is the last application followed by buffing. I don't go with a high gloss for wooden pens, as I like the feel of the wood. Generally the wood I choose for kitless pens are burls or other highly figured wood that tend to be tactile.
As for the steel section sleeves, I went down the route of turning acrylic and ebonite but frankly my failure rate was quite high.
Regards,
Chriscb

d_bondi

Thanks Chris, I haven't used Yorkshire Grit yet, but did pick some up just the other day. Looking forward to giving it a try.

MyopicTopics

Afternoon all,
Been busy on the lathe, here's my latest group of pens. Voids (of which there were many) filled with a mix of ground coffee, sawdust and thin CA.

Wood sanded to 240, application of Yorkshire grit and polished on wheel. Didn't want a high gloss, just some protection from handling.

Woods are Thuya Burl, American Oak Burl, and Yew Burl.

Closed length - 150 mm to 158 mm
Open length - 144 mm to 152 mm
No step.
Bock #6 nibs

As ever, thoughts and critiques please.

Cheers,
Chriscb

View attachment 362662View attachment 362663View attachment 362664View attachment 362665View attachment 362666View attachment 362667View attachment 362668View attachment 362669View attachment 362670
Chris,
These are very nice, you just gave me some motivation to get off the PC and get back to the shop and turn something!

Thanks for sharing,

Andy

MyopicTopics

Hey thanks. Delighted that I've moved you to action - please show us what you've turned.
Chriscb
Chriscb,

This is my 6th pen, my first that isn't based on a slimline. This is an officer twist from Crookedmill with a spalted blank. This was the first wood pen I took below the bushings to account for the CA finish, so it has a perfectly smooth transition between the tip and body. The blank wound up looking way better than I expected it would. Thanks for the motivation!

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 36

MyopicTopics

Afternoon Andy,
Good looking pen - love the spalted blank ( is it Silver Birch?) and the finish is smoooth.
Thanks for showing.
Chriscb
Chriscb,

I am not sure the species, I wondered myself. I got it out of a bin at our local wood shop that was labeled spalted blanks $6.99, and forgot to ask when I reached the register. When I turned it, it seemed softer than what I have turned before so I thought maybe a maple or your suggestion of birch might be correct. I will ask next time I am in the shop. Thanks for the kind words!

Andy

Top Bottom