Last of the Caballeros

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from InkyMike

InkyMike

My girls wanted to give their teachers pens for teacher appreciation week. I let them pick out the blanks, and I used up what will be the last Caballeros kits I order. Never mind the slightly different sized bushings for the body that really don't change the proportions all that much - these had some less than great plating on the threads. I didn't realize how bad it was until I assembled one and ended up with a plating sliver in my thumb. I was able to clean them up with some fine files and high grit paper. But I don't think I'll be ordering these again. I do think the girls picked out really nice blanks.

2023-03-10.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Love the blanks. The colors are really vibrant. I also really like the matching finial. Very nice!

Regarding the kit, I had similar issues with a couple caballero kits. I now prefer the Diamond Knurl rollerball. Same basic design, better quality. Plus, the Diamond knurl is ideal for swapping out the center band with a custom band.

Thanks for sharing.

InkyMike

Thank you!

I actually have a few of the Diamond Knurl kits on the way - they should be here today. I'm looking forward to trying them out. I do like the Baron kits as they are a similar shape but higher end kits.

sorcerertd

They look great. For what it's worth, when I want something with a simply stated center band, I like the Jr. George.

I actually have a few of the Diamond Knurl kits on the way - they should be here today. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
You're going to like them. They are very solid and versatile kits.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for showing!! Those are BEAUTIFUL pens!! And the pen kits were under $10 each.

I am sorry to hear there have been issues with the "plating" (actually sounds like the brass where the threads are cut).
We have literally sold thousands of the caballeros that I purchased from Smitty, with very few complaints.

We will continue to have them made from our source in China who has produced very good quality for us over the past decade.

If you prefer the Baron, we are happy to sell that to you, as well.

Why keep the Caballero? Because some folks want lower prices and the Caballero is 25 to 40 percent less expensive (depends on quantity purchased) which amounts to about five dollars PER PEN.

When I have encountered rough threads on any pen, I suggest a VERY SMALL dab of vaseline will solve the problem. The threads are usually cut correctly, just not completely cleaned.

FWIW!!

Ed

InkyMike

Thanks for showing!! Those are BEAUTIFUL pens!! And the pen kits were under $10 each.

I am sorry to hear there have been issues with the "plating" (actually sounds like the brass where the threads are cut).
We have literally sold thousands of the caballeros that I purchased from Smitty, with very few complaints.

We will continue to have them made from our source in China who has produced very good quality for us over the past decade.

If you prefer the Baron, we are happy to sell that to you, as well.

Why keep the Caballero? Because some folks want lower prices and the Caballero is 25 to 40 percent less expensive (depends on quantity purchased) which amounts to about five dollars PER PEN.

When I have encountered rough threads on any pen, I suggest a VERY SMALL dab of vaseline will solve the problem. The threads are usually cut correctly, just not completely cleaned.

FWIW!!

Ed
Thanks Ed. I had a few more Caballeros I made that didn't have this issue. I'm guessing these just slipped through QA. I was able to carefully clean them up - I just wanted to make sure the recipients didn't end up with a sliver like I did.

I've also never really understood why the bushings for the body are slightly different sizes. To me it doesn't alter the look and feel of the pen much at all - maybe it's just how I shape my bodies. With the Baron they are the same.

In the meantime, I have some Diamond Knurled kits that just arrived from you guys. I'm going to get a couple of those turned here soon.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Smitty was attempting to be innovative in his designs. Because he never sold a LOT of pens, each design kind of stands on its own.

I sure could have those dimensions changed on future pens, call it version 2. I will solicit input on that in a different thread so as not to take this one off track.

Again, thanks for showing!!

Ed

InkyMike

Smitty was attempting to be innovative in his designs. Because he never sold a LOT of pens, each design kind of stands on its own.

I sure could have those dimensions changed on future pens, call it version 2. I will solicit input on that in a different thread so as not to take this one off track.

Again, thanks for showing!!

Ed
Thanks Ed - and again, perhaps it's just me and the way I turn - but even with the different bushings I can swap the ends and it doesn't seem to make much difference - even with the collar fit. Perhaps others have had a different experience.

yaroslaw

Well I turned a lot of Cabaleros with nothing like that happened. I am afraid that Ed is still mad at me when my partners saw a really good promotion price in an email and just cleared the stock buying something like 200 of them. Sorry, @ed4copies ...I was not aware of it and also was really mad at them (what should I do with so many pen kits of one design?), but it turned out to be a good investment. Partners are gone, I still have a lot of Cabalero kits and it's a go-to rollerball for me these days. And I like them much more than Barons not only because of price but also because of some shitty Berea plating (silver and Gold titanium being "premium" Berea plaltings will start to ruin themselves the moment you make those pens).

I never thought twice making a Cabalero, and I'm really picky about pen kit quality (again, sorry @ed4copies, I caused you quite a trouble those few times...)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well I turned a lot of Cabaleros with nothing like that happened. I am afraid that Ed is still mad at me when my partners saw a really good promotion price in an email and just cleared the stock buying something like 200 of them. Sorry, @ed4copies ...I was not aware of it and also was really mad at them (what should I do with so many pen kits of one design?), but it turned out to be a good investment. Partners are gone, I still have a lot of Cabalero kits and it's a go-to rollerball for me these days. And I like them much more than Barons not only because of price but also because of some shitty Berea plating (silver and Gold titanium being "premium" Berea plaltings will start to ruin themselves the moment you make those pens).

I never thought twice making a Cabalero, and I'm really picky about pen kit quality (again, sorry @ed4copies, I caused you quite a trouble those few times...)
Side note--I have NEVER been mad or unhappy with you Yaro!! To be completely honest, I have no recollection of this--I wish you and all your countrymen nothing but the best to deal with a horrible war.

Cmiles1985

Those look great, and I especially like the matching finial! That is one of the things I really enjoy about the Caballero kits. I have many bins of Smitty kits including probably over a hundred Caballeros. I need to make some more, especially after remembering that one of mine is the photo used for the listing on exoticblanks.com

Top Bottom