Laserhead sneaking over to pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Red Coin

Hello, turners! I am normally found on the Sawmill Creek engraver's forum, but a fellow engraver who also turns suggested I come here for expert and friendly guidance. From the posts I've read so far, it looks like a great place here and the people are welcoming and patient with beginners.

I am not even up to beginner. My brother gave me his Jet mini and some pen kits.... off I go! I am reading books now, watching videos, reading posts and hope to have some blanks ready to go soon. My husband and I are looking forward to firing up the Jet sometime soon. We just have to find an appropriate place to set it up, deal with exhaust and sharpen up our gouges.

Thanks to IAP for this forum, it is a valuable resource!

cheers, dee

ps- thanks to NewLondon88, my guide

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Dee! And welcome from sunny southern California. I started off with the Jet mini VS. Practiced on cheap dowels till I knew what I was doing. It's a great "ride."

I'm putting a few links in here for reference –
This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

This link tells of some "out of the box" tools/aids for pen turners http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66178

This one is a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't. http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

OKLAHOMAN

Dee, glad to have you. Don't be afraid to pick these guys mind there's a ton of pen turning experience here and BTW Dee is my wife's name so even at my advanced age I'll remenber yours.

PR_Princess

Ah.. Glad you made it, Dee! :biggrin: Look forward to seeing what you crank out
on the lathe.

For those who don't know, Dee is the one who got me started on the road
to 3D lasered blanks. She did a 3D heart pattern that made it all go 'click' in
my head.

and she's a Trek fan. :biggrin:

Oooohhh, a friend of Charlie's, a laserhead, an artist, a turner AND Trek Fan!?!?!? :banana:

It just doesn't get any better than that!!!! Welcome Dee!!!

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Dee,
Thanks for the lunch and wood. You sent Charlie down a dark and twisted road with the laser. No fires yet. Bummer!. Come on over. We'll give you some wood from our pile, I mean supply.

toddlajoie

ps- thanks to NewLondon88, my guide

Ah.. Glad you made it, Dee! :biggrin: Look forward to seeing what you crank out
on the lathe.

For those who don't know, Dee is the one who got me started on the road
to 3D lasered blanks. She did a 3D heart pattern that made it all go 'click' in
my head.

and she's a Trek fan. :biggrin:

We'll try not to hold it against you...

(Knowing Charlie that is. All the other info is great!!! Hope you can hitch a ride to the NE meetings..)

Andrew Arndts

Welcome Dee,
I would say I am a pen length pass beginner. which ain't all that far. I will pass along what my friend told me to do, Put tool to wood and have at it. Learn what every tool can and most importantly CANNOT do. If you can't get a Grinder, get whet stones.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Welcome Dee, After seeing a lot of the things you have done on the Creek I am looking forward to what you do with a lathe.

Rfturner

welcome from California, Biking is one of my past times too. Let the penmaking madness begin. I will warn you now though it is a deep vortex and there is no end to goodies to be had and made. I second the idea of learning with some dowels first. Then go to pens so that you don't mess up a blank and a kit

MikeD

Hi Dee,
Welcome to the forum
I guess I haven't been reading the sawmill creek posts closely enough. I didn't realize you were interested in pen turning. If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Michael

Red Coin

Hi Dee,
Welcome to the forum
I guess I haven't been reading the sawmill creek posts closely enough. I didn't realize you were interested in pen turning. If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Michael

Geez, Michael, now I'm really intimidated! Your pens are such an inspiration I can only hope to come close one day.

Thanks for the shout out, dee

CaptG

Hi Dee, welcome to the IAP. I have talked with you on the Creek a couple times about laser stuff. You have helped me with a couple of my laser issues. Good to see you here also. I can't wait to see what you can do to a pen blank with your laser. I have seen some of the game tiles that you have done. Impressive.

Red Coin

Hi Dee, welcome to the IAP. I have talked with you on the Creek a couple times about laser stuff. You have helped me with a couple of my laser issues. Good to see you here also. I can't wait to see what you can do to a pen blank with your laser. I have seen some of the game tiles that you have done. Impressive.

Good to see you here, Gary - I'm psyched to get some of my ideas into solid form - but first I need to develop some actual turning skills - hahaha Could be a while, you never know! This site is turning up some very interesting folks, both new and old friends. And there is as much reading to do here as on the Creek!

See you around, dee

JimB

Welcome Dee. I saw your name (and location) in Neil's introduction thread. I am in the Rochester area. I believe I have driven through your area once on my way to Massena. Unfortunately us upstaters are a pretty spread out group.

Red Coin

Welcome Dee. I saw your name (and location) in Neil's introduction thread. I am in the Rochester area. I believe I have driven through your area once on my way to Massena. Unfortunately us upstaters are a pretty spread out group.

Hi Jim! I used to teach in Canandaigua - now I'm even further out there. hahaha. Nice to meet you!

Top Bottom