Laser segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

amtechrs

As mentioned and described in my introduction post, here is one of my laser segmented blank/box projects. Woods are Padauk, Purpleheart and maple burl that I stabilized. Sorry my pictures are pretty poor!

Attachments

• PXL_20240209_144016668.jpg
    PXL_20240209_144016668.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 141
  • PXL_20240208_223338497.jpg
    PXL_20240208_223338497.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 133
  • PXL_20240209_000526734.jpg
    PXL_20240209_000526734.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 126
  • PXL_20240209_002850311.jpg
    PXL_20240209_002850311.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Amihai

As mentioned and described in my introduction post, here is one of my laser segmented blank/box projects. Woods are Padauk, Purpleheart and maple burl that I stabilized. Sorry my pictures are pretty poor!
That's amazing! And the thread came just in time, I was about to ask a question about laser segmenting!

I see that you laser cut the entire blank, and assemble it like a puzzle? I thought about doing a different process, with turning a round base blank, then laser marking the desired shape, and later laser cutting the same shape from a different wood veneer and inserting it.

I guess that will require some rotary attachment? May I also ask what laser do you use? Thanks for any information!

amtechrs

That's amazing! And the thread came just in time, I was about to ask a question about laser segmenting!

I see that you laser cut the entire blank, and assemble it like a puzzle? I thought about doing a different process, with turning a round base blank, then laser marking the desired shape, and later laser cutting the same shape from a different wood veneer and inserting it.

I guess that will require some rotary attachment? May I also ask what laser do you use? Thanks for any information!
Hello Amihai,

Thanks! Hope this helps you along. Yes, basically making a laser cut box, sort of like a puzzle. Check out my introduction post for more details. Happy to answer any other questions! My laser is an Omtech 100W CO2 laser, which is much bigger than needed. I do think the process you mentioned attempting would require a rotary. Good luck!

Darios

Oh and thanks for the pics. I've been going nuts trying to figure out how you (laser segmenters) have been getting such amazing results. How much time did it take you just to assemble?

amtechrs

Oh and thanks for the pics. I've been going nuts trying to figure out how you (laser segmenters) have been getting such amazing results. How much time did it take you just to assemble?
Hi Darios! The method I've used here is much simpler than the only other laser cut blanks, sold as kits, which are cut using a rotary holder. Those can be far more intricate and are very cool looking. I've been laser cutting different boxes using the website I mention in my intro for some time. Just recently realized I can probably turn a box as a blank. I'm going to experiment with incorporating epoxy as well, maybe other types of inlays? Assembling the four sided boxes (not counting the ends) is fairly easy. It takes a little time to dab the CA into the joints to wick in. Then some cleanup sanding of the CA to make the blank square again to hold in the vice to drill.

Attachments

• PXL_20240209_010424228.jpg
    PXL_20240209_010424228.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 45

Darios

Again, appreciate the info. I've been seeing some pool cue looking segmenting work over on the facebook segmenting page and have just been drooling over the possibilities.

jttheclockman

Hi John,

The old fashioned way is definitely the more craftsman approach. This seems a bit like cheating..Probably not for everyone's taste.
We in the scrollsaw world have been fighting the dreaded laser for many years. When I was on the circuit selling I have been accused of using a laser as opposed to a scrollsaw more times than I could count. I use to carry around a laser cut project and everyone could see the burn edges. Over the years I have just learned to accept it that it is just another way to do something and the results stand on their own. Today the laser have become so cheap and readily available that many people have taken them up as a hobby. There is a learning curve for sure so it is not just push a button and it is done. So hats off to you but probably in the future if there will be any more Bash party's there will have to be separate categories of contests because a hand cut segmented blank can never compete with a laser. Just can not do what you do and other do by hand. Very nicely done and no it is not cheating just another form of segmenting.

Top Bottom