Laser Engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texas Turning

So my question is on the small laser engravers like the 1500mw Qiilu or other brands that are pretty much the same machine. When it comes time to engrave then pen after turning do you sand and then engrave before polishing or after polishing? I have not has luck getting a good engraving by lasering after the polish but I was thinking that to polish after may smear the engraving since it is pretty much just burnt into the wood. Any suggestions or tricks that work will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Amber From Texas Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

The last thing I do is engrave, then decide on applying a CA or friction polish finish. I do used forced air and/or DNA before applying any finish. This removes any residual laser dust. Prior to engraving I sand to 2000 grit and blow out or use DNA to clean blank. There are many ways to approach this' this is just what I happen to do.

Texas Turning

Thanks I will have to try the dna . I feel I will be doing alot more tweeking with the engraver also before I feel satisfied with the quality of whats going on the pen.

Hoover015

For the most part I use a company that does awards, engraving , etc... I always finish my wood pens with CA than have them engraved, Have never had a problem. Recently I purchased a Neje 1500mw laser and tinkered a little. So far no issues.

Texas Turning

I have the Meterek 1500 the software says Neje so I think they are pretty much the same but I'm becoming very frustrated with it. I would prefer to use the option of uploading images from my phone via bluetooth but I can rarely get the thing to connect or keep a connection. When it does connect I never know how it will come out some great some terrible. I usually do a practice engraving on a wooden craft stick then for sizing and correctness. When the specs seem correct I put the pen blank on a jig and engrave but some times its blotchy or crooked or fuzzy. I may just outsource the engraving until i get the kinks worked out.

larryc

I have the Meterek 1500 the software says Neje so I think they are pretty much the same but I'm becoming very frustrated with it. I would prefer to use the option of uploading images from my phone via bluetooth but I can rarely get the thing to connect or keep a connection. When it does connect I never know how it will come out some great some terrible. I usually do a practice engraving on a wooden craft stick then for sizing and correctness. When the specs seem correct I put the pen blank on a jig and engrave but some times its blotchy or crooked or fuzzy. I may just outsource the engraving until i get the kinks worked out.

Mine's only a 1000mw but I usually only need to run one test to make sure I've got the speed correct and it works great.
Where's that large piece of lumber I need to knock my knuckles against?

sbwertz

The little lasers give variable results depending on how hard the wood is. I usually take the unturned blank and do a test burn on it before I turn it. Then I know how fast and how deep it will burn when it is finished.

Rick_G

I do a CA finish on nearly all my pens. I put 2 coats of thin CA on then do the burn and put the blank back on the lathe and complete my CA finish. I have the NEJE 1000 and found if I set the burn time to 65 - 70 for all my wood pens it comes out ok. I finished this on in 2009 and have carried it since, engraved it with the above settings after I got my engraver.
1_daily.JPG

Makereality

I had no problems with lasering over star bond or PSI CA finish, but 2p-10 CA finish before NEJE 1500mw laser at 70 ms caused a smoky white discoloration between the lamination layers, melting finish and not legible. so now I sand to 800 -1200 grit, laser the pen, then 2p-10 CA finish, and AAA polish at the end. It looks like the names are floating in glass above the wood and I really like the look. Maple Burl on Rollester kit, the ca layering caused the fit to be less than perfect, but as I was not going to sell it I didn't mind the imperfections.
COVID19 pen 1.jpg
covid19 pen2.jpg

sbwertz

If you want to burn a name on a dark wood, you can turn it, put a couple of coats of CA on it, burn it pretty deep, then fill the burn with a silver, gold, or copper Sharpie pen, depending on the kit plating. Wipe off the excess sharpie from the surrounding finish with a soft cloth. Then put it back on the lathe and put on the rest of your finish.

Top Bottom