Laser cutting project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Turned Around

Turned Around

I have an idea for my brother in law for x-mas, but it involves some laser cutting. I know there are some vendors on here that will do engravings, but what about cutting Plexiglass? It won't be thick, (less than 1/8" if I can find it), but I can't do it by hand. it will be a sheet about 18" x 24", or slightly different if I can find another size.

The basic idea is to make a floating frame of a bunch of different guitar picks. I'd have one sheet cut out, then sandwich it between two solid pieces and frame it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

If you take a weekend vacation over to Round Rock, there's a TechShop location there that has lasers available (you can get a day pass, but will need to complete their safety & basic use class so schedule accordingly).

On a cheaper note, I've cut acrylic on my bandsaw and cleaned up the edges with a palm sander. Those were inserts/bases for some large quilted bags my wife was making because buying the bottoms pre-cut runs about $10/each for about 50 cents worth of acrylic.

These days, I laser cut them at a TechShop here on the west coast. Much faster/easier but you can cut and clean up your own in a pinch.

18"x24" is the largest size most of their lasers will accept. There is one laser at another of their locations about 20 miles from home that can handle up to 32" wide sheets.

I may be able to help you (time is fairly tight for me right now) but shipping it back and forth from here will bump your cost up.

How big will the final cut pieces be?

bobleibo

Nic
If the road trip to round rock doesn't work out, I have a guy who cuts a lot of things for me. All you need to provide him with is a black and white JPEG picture of what you want. He also does my engraving in wood or acrylic. I send him a MSWord file of what I want and he takes care of the rest.
Cheers
Bob

dfross

Could probably cut it with a scroll saw. Some cover the cutting area with duct tape to prevent overheating and sticking back together.

Top Bottom