Laser Cut DiamondCast Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ken Wines

Ken Wines

Mckenzie PenWorks Desire with blanks that are a combination of 4 different colored laser cut DiamonCast Blanks. There are a combination of 186 inlays between the two blanks (84 in the Cap Blank and 102 in the Body Blank).

IMG_6523.jpg

IMG_6524.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Damn, Ken! Your genius with the laser seems to grow with every passing year. That is a stunning pen and set of blanks. Well done, sir. Well done.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Your technical skills and artistry is a wonderful combination to see. And having a small bit of understanding the learning curve you went through gives an even greater appreciation. Well done, and thanks for sharing. 👏 👏 👏

SteveJ

Very nice Ken. I assume you drill, turn the four blanks close to size, and then glue all the pieces in place like a typical laser cut blank. Those little pieces must have been a bear to put in. We're the tolerances tight enough to hold the in place to glue all at once or did you glue as you inserted them?

I really like the design and may try to do something like it in wood!

Ken Wines

Your technical skills and artistry is a wonderful combination to see. And having a small bit of understanding the learning curve you went through gives an even greater appreciation. Well done, and thanks for sharing. 👏 👏 👏
Thank you, Mark! I've basically quit production blank work and turned that over to a long time friend of mine, Rick Cobb. Rick was serious enough about wanting to do this type of work that he went out and bought a used Epilog Helix. I built his rotary device which is operationally a twin to mine. Anyway, he will have access to all of my design files and has ideas of for his own future designs. I've taught him just about all I know about and am looking forward to seeing where he can take it. He has recently opened a website that will be his marketplace for what will be now his pen blanks. I haven't quit trying to come up with new patterns but going forward anything I make will mainly be for my personal use.

Ken Wines

Very nice Ken. I assume you drill, turn the four blanks close to size, and then glue all the pieces in place like a typical laser cut blank. Those little pieces must have been a bear to put in. We're the tolerances tight enough to hold the in place to glue all at once or did you glue as you inserted them?

I really like the design and may try to do something like it in wood!
Steve, here is pretty much the song and dance routine. I cut and drill 4 or ever how many I need for the pattern blanks. I have made TBC bushings that fit the drilled holes and use them to turn all of the blanks to the same size on a metal lathe. When I designed the pattern, it is drawn as if there are no border between adjoining pieces and sized so that the pattern will fit seamlessly around a 2" circumference(the Y axis). Then the pattern is stretched lengthwise to fit the tube on the X axis. My rotary is made such that a 2" line on the Y axis of the drawing yields 360 degrees of rotation (exactly, everytime). Then I determine how thick I want the grid that separates the inlays that make up the pattern. All of the components drawing lines are offset inwards 1/2 that distance. In the case of thesse blanks the grid is 0.030" thick in the design so the pattern was offset inwards 0.015". These are the design parameters to get the actual cutting lines , laser kerf compensation must applied to the design drawing. All inlay cutouts are offset inwards by 1/2 a laser kerf (I've determined that a laser kerf for my laser is 0.007") so the cuts are offset inwards by 0.0035" All the cut line for the actual inlays are offset outwards by 1/2 a laser kerf or 0.0035" The end results of the offsetting gives you inlays that are a good friction fit and require no clamping or rubber bands to hold them in place during glue up. The blanks are glue up by flooding the outside of the blank with thin CA and allowing it to wick in the inlay seams. The brass tube is not in place during this procedure on this type of blank (puzzle blanks, and helicals are a different set of rules). After the glue is cured a chucking reamer of the same size as the drilled hole is run carefully through the hole to clean up any glue that may have puddled on the inside of the blank and distorted the hole's shape and size. After that it's pretty much business as usual. The brass tubes are glue in be careful to center them lengthwise in the blank. The blanks are ~ 1/10" longer than the brass so about 1/20" is sanded from each end. They are then turned to size and profile and hopefully don't fly apart.

sorcerertd

Wow! I admire the skill and patience it must have taken to make this pen. It was definitely worth spending the time on given that finished product. I do believe that I'll have a U2 song stuck in my head for a bit, though.

egnald

Hi Ken,

That should be a candidate for the IAP cover photo for sure. It is just incredible work. I'm glad you have the stuff to continue with the craft. Bob Blanford recently turned one of your multi-wood spiral blanks and mentioned that you had turned your production designs over to Rick.

Your choice of blank materials is outstanding and the result is absolutely stunning. I understand your explanation and how the pieces fit together for this design, but how you were able to wind those spirals of wood back together without breaking them all to pieces is a complete mystery to me.

Very, very cool Pen.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Ken Wines

Wow! I admire the skill and patience it must have taken to make this pen. It was definitely worth spending the time on given that finished product. I do believe that I'll have a U2 song stuck in my head for a bit, though.
Thanks you, Todd! It took a little bit of time to assemble. I'm not sure I understand the U2 reference but it's all good!

Ken Wines

Hi Ken,

That should be a candidate for the IAP cover photo for sure. It is just incredible work. I'm glad you have the stuff to continue with the craft. Bob Blanford recently turned one of your multi-wood spiral blanks and mentioned that you had turned your production designs over to Rick.

Your choice of blank materials is outstanding and the result is absolutely stunning. I understand your explanation and how the pieces fit together for this design, but how you were able to wind those spirals of wood back together without breaking them all to pieces is a complete mystery to me.

Very, very cool Pen.

Regards,
Dave
Thank you for your kind words, David. I'm happy to turn the production aspect over to Rick. The customer will be served because Rick is taking the time to build an internet store to sell from. I've known Rick for probably around 30 years. I retired from American Electric Power for which Rick still works but hopes to be able to retire in the not real distant future.

That was a 20 strand (2 strands each of 10 species of wood) helical I believe that Bob did in the video recently. The first 18 strands "screwed" into position quite easily. On strands that are thin, on the last strands inserted you hold two more together and it gives them more strength. 20 strands is not near the upper limit that I have done in the past. I did a 45 strand about a year or so back. There were 9 iterations of 5 different species. I worked a bundle of the 5 species into the helix at a time. It would have been impossible to force strands that small into the helix individually.

egnald

Thank you for your kind words, David. I'm happy to turn the production aspect over to Rick. The customer will be served because Rick is taking the time to build an internet store to sell from. I've known Rick for probably around 30 years. I retired from American Electric Power for which Rick still works but hopes to be able to retire in the not real distant future.

That was a 20 strand (2 strands each of 10 species of wood) helical I believe that Bob did in the video recently. The first 18 strands "screwed" into position quite easily. On strands that are thin, on the last strands inserted you hold two more together and it gives them more strength. 20 strands is not near the upper limit that I have done in the past. I did a 45 strand about a year or so back. There were 9 iterations of 5 different species. I worked a bundle of the 5 species into the helix at a time. It would have been impossible to force strands that small into the helix individually.
That is really cool. (Pardon my gaffe, a spiral would not work very well as a pen blank!) I can't imagine how fragile 45 strands of wood would be. Pretty awesome. I don't suppose you have a picture of it you could share? - Dave

ochoabrian

Steve, here is pretty much the song and dance routine. I cut and drill 4 or ever how many I need for the pattern blanks. I have made TBC bushings that fit the drilled holes and use them to turn all of the blanks to the same size on a metal lathe. When I designed the pattern, it is drawn as if there are no border between adjoining pieces and sized so that the pattern will fit seamlessly around a 2" circumference(the Y axis). Then the pattern is stretched lengthwise to fit the tube on the X axis. My rotary is made such that a 2" line on the Y axis of the drawing yields 360 degrees of rotation (exactly, everytime). Then I determine how thick I want the grid that separates the inlays that make up the pattern. All of the components drawing lines are offset inwards 1/2 that distance. In the case of thesse blanks the grid is 0.030" thick in the design so the pattern was offset inwards 0.015". These are the design parameters to get the actual cutting lines , laser kerf compensation must applied to the design drawing. All inlay cutouts are offset inwards by 1/2 a laser kerf (I've determined that a laser kerf for my laser is 0.007") so the cuts are offset inwards by 0.0035" All the cut line for the actual inlays are offset outwards by 1/2 a laser kerf or 0.0035" The end results of the offsetting gives you inlays that are a good friction fit and require no clamping or rubber bands to hold them in place during glue up. The blanks are glue up by flooding the outside of the blank with thin CA and allowing it to wick in the inlay seams. The brass tube is not in place during this procedure on this type of blank (puzzle blanks, and helicals are a different set of rules). After the glue is cured a chucking reamer of the same size as the drilled hole is run carefully through the hole to clean up any glue that may have puddled on the inside of the blank and distorted the hole's shape and size. After that it's pretty much business as usual. The brass tubes are glue in be careful to center them lengthwise in the blank. The blanks are ~ 1/10" longer than the brass so about 1/20" is sanded from each end. They are then turned to size and profile and hopefully don't fly apart.
Ken, your work is amazing! Thanks for sharing!! I started doing my own laser patter inlay pens in wood (many patterns inspire in yours) and now I want to experiment with Alumilite blanks, do you know if there is any safety precaution when laser cutting this type of materials? Oviusly you did it but I was wonder if there is something special to consider. Thanks

Top Bottom