Larger tail stock hand wheel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbswearingen

The tiny hand wheel on my Jet mini is painful to use when drilling out lots of blanks in a long run.

I'd like a much larger wheel, like, 8-10" diameter. I've seen lawnmower wheels used on others. Can anybody offer suggestions on fitting something that can help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

A large wheel will allow you to put a lot more force on the drill bit....maybe not always a good idea. It will also get in the way more in those cases when you want the tool to gouge out a bowl when the center is still there for support.
I'd suggest that you keep the old one so you can switch them out. :)

robutacion

The tiny hand wheel on my Jet mini is painful to use when drilling out lots of blanks in a long run.

I'd like a much larger wheel, like, 8-10" diameter. I've seen lawnmower wheels used on others. Can anybody offer suggestions on fitting something that can help?
G'day,

What stops you to make a nice one out of wood..??? it would be at least "unique" ;) šŸ¦˜

PS: Machine shops would have many of all different sizes that you could apply to your lathe, I'm sure...!

Cheers
George

Dale Allen

McMaster Carr, MSC direct, or any machine tool source.
You will need the shaft size, keyway size if there is one and what material you want. I've seen them in aluminum, plastic and steel.

Dale Allen

OR...maybe get creative and make something that would easily attach the the one already there.
Better yet, if there is a speed knob, make a new one that extends out further. All you need is a way to crank it faster and that would do it.
Hey, I'm just thinking outside the wheel! šŸ¤£

Top Bottom