Large'ish pores in cocobolo blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darios

Just curious about folk's opinion on this blank and how those pores (?) look - I don't think I've seen them (or at least noticed) that prominent before. They don't go all the way around, but on the two 'sides' (top and bottom, if you will)
- I'm already on the fence about it due to not being to happy with that hit of color on the end there, but on the other hand ... cocobolo.

Attachments

• cocobolo questions.jpg
    cocobolo questions.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

I've not seen this before. Also, all the cocobolo I've used was much darker in color. It doesn't resemble any of the cocobolo that I have used. It also had no pores but was rather closed grain. Sanding on the lathe left it extremely smooth. Could be a different variety ??

Last edited:

sorcerertd

I love the visible pores in cocobolo. They give it sort of a peppered look. That being said, some of those look fairly deep, but each piece is unique. It's certainly not off-putting to me, and the picture is larger than life, so any little flaw will show that close up. Put some finish on and see what you think.

Darios

Awesome and thanks. For a bit a clarity, the color bit I'm looking at askew is off to the left of the blank - is just a band of a different color that comes out of nowhere. Kind of looks like some dye got pulled into the blank at the end.

BoonareeBurl

Just curious about folk's opinion on this blank and how those pores (?) look - I don't think I've seen them (or at least noticed) that prominent before. They don't go all the way around, but on the two 'sides' (top and bottom, if you will)
- I'm already on the fence about it due to not being to happy with that hit of color on the end there, but on the other hand ... cocobolo.
I'm probably in minority here. Not only do I like the look but I also like the texture. I'd probably prefer a finish that doesn't make it perfectly smooth and that retains the more natural wood feel. In fact, some of the pens in my collection are kinda just flat matte finish, which I know a lot of people don't like. But I like it.

G

aRMdaMAN

How'dy
From the pic I see U haven't sanded the piece "with the Grain" to kill some of those "Pores" that are worrying Ya.
I just finished and sold one in Cocobolo with almost half of Sap Wood with those "Pores" that disappeared like MIKE and TODD said.
Just a Pity I don't have pics to show Ya
With wood U gotta go that "extra Mile" to achieve really remarkable results
Work on it as the Guys suggest and U will end up with a striking finished Pen
Happy turning !!!
ATB
TC
aRM

BCnabe

Awesome and thanks. For a bit a clarity, the color bit I'm looking at askew is off to the left of the blank - is just a band of a different color that comes out of nowhere. Kind of looks like some dye got pulled into the blank at the end.

I've had something similar happen with Cocobolo.

I think what happened is the left end, where the color difference is, has some oxidation or darkening from the sun. If you cut the right end of the blank to the length of your tube you exposed wood that hasn't oxidized yet and therefore is not as dark.

derekdd

That looks fantastic to me.

Cocobolo, a member of the rosewood family, will have variations from chocolate browns, to deep reds, oranges, yellows and creamy colored sapwood.

If you look at some of the higher end pieces used for acoustic guitars, it's not uncommon to see all of these colors in a single bookmatched back.

Top Bottom