Lapis Lazuli Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rolandranch

Rolandranch

I haven't posted any pens in a while so I thought I'd share one of the latest. Unfortunately, I only got one photo before it sold, but here it is.
Natural lapis on a Jr Emperor kit. Thanks for looking!
PhotoRoom-20231205_151604.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Wow, heck of a pen!! Is that actual Lapis stone? Or is it some kind of phenomenal blank that looks just like real Lapis?

I have a few pieces of lapis lazuli here, deep blue lazurite with flecks of pyrite I guess it is, and some of the calcite crystal. I can't imagine turning this stuff in any normal way... I would imagine turning involved some initial shaping, then lapping to round?

Incredible work!

Rolandranch

Wow, natural as in from a solid piece of Lapis? That must have been interesting to drill and cut. The pen is beautiful!!
Thanks!! Yes, it is natural lapis. And "interesting" is a really good word for the drilling and cutting šŸ˜…

Outstanding! I'm gong back to scorcertd's comment and question on drilling and shaping. Curious. Where did you get the lapis?
Thank you! I know some Afgan sellers who I get it from when I see them.

Wow, heck of a pen!! Is that actual Lapis stone? Or is it some kind of phenomenal blank that looks just like real Lapis?

I have a few pieces of lapis lazuli here, deep blue lazurite with flecks of pyrite I guess it is, and some of the calcite crystal. I can't imagine turning this stuff in any normal way... I would imagine turning involved some initial shaping, then lapping to round?

Incredible work!
Thank you! Yep, it is real natural lapis. It's not the greatest quality lapis, but I didn't want to risk the nice stuff yet. It's been trial and error with stone for several years now and I'm still figuring out the best way to do it, but definitely have to use diamond tools.

sorcerertd

Did you know that Cleopatra used crushed Lapis for her well known eye shadow? Or that it was used to color the paint on some cathedral ceilings, like for Mother Mary's robe? It has an interesting history.

I do have to say again that I love the look of that pen. Did you use any finish on it? I know it is a porous rock, definitely not good in ultrasonic cleaners.

Rolandranch

Did you know that Cleopatra used crushed Lapis for her well known eye shadow? Or that it was used to color the paint on some cathedral ceilings, like for Mother Mary's robe? It has an interesting history.

I do have to say again that I love the look of that pen. Did you use any finish on it? I know it is a porous rock, definitely not good in ultrasonic cleaners.
Wow, crazy. I never knew that. I actually used a CA finish like I use on wood. I need to find something else that bonds better to the stone though because separation is an issue.

sorcerertd

separation is an issue
I was wondering how that would work. There must be some way to "stabilize" porous stone. I mean, it's gotta be pretty durable without finish. I have done some wire wrapping and have been advised by a few people, even professional jewelers, to never clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner. I doubt a pen will ever need that kind of cleaning anyway.

sorcerertd

So, I asked someone that I know used to cut precious and semi-precious stones (faceting and making cabochons) about sealing porous stone. He said cactus juice. I wouldn't have thought of that for stone.

Rolandranch

So, I asked someone that I know used to cut precious and semi-precious stones (faceting and making cabochons) about sealing porous stone. He said cactus juice. I wouldn't have thought of that for stone.
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that either. I'll have to try that since I already have everything to do it. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom