Lamp Shade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

While traveling last year, I saw some ceramic lamps with punched copper shades in a gift shop in Yellowstone. I thought it might be cool to try that with a wooden lamp and filed the idea away in that vacant archive in my head. Having never made a lamp, I decided it might be a good project for the new year. I decided to start out by figuring out how to make a shade. Given the expense of copper, I decided to start off with some roofing flashing that I had on hand. It took some experimentation to get the shape and dimensions right with a spider that I bought. The width of the flashing limited my design options given the curved shape that I needed for a conical shade. I decided to paint the metal with rust effects paint. My paint job is a little splotchy but I think it will even out with more cure time.

Lots of room for improvement but I think it is a promising start. I will turn a base for this one before attempting another shade.

1206D778-899C-4841-80CE-8F2C453DB238.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob1948

While traveling last year, I saw some ceramic lamps with punched copper shades in a gift shop in Yellowstone. I thought it might be cool to try that with a wooden lamp and filed the idea away in that vacant archive in my head. Having never made a lamp, I decided it might be a good project for the new year. I decided to start out by figuring out how to make a shade. Given the expense of copper, I decided to start off with some roofing flashing that I had on hand. It took some experimentation to get the shape and dimensions right with a spider that I bought. The width of the flashing limited my design options given the curved shape that I needed for a conical shade. I decided to paint the metal with rust effects paint. My paint job is a little splotchy but I think it will even out with more cure time.

Lots of room for improvement but I think it is a promising start. I will turn a base for this one before attempting another shade.

View attachment 230370
At this years Texas SWAT a demonstrator showed how he makes a "Tiffany Lamp", it was a shade on a stand with a hidden compartment in the top.

Top Bottom