LAGUNA REVO 1216 versus JET JWL-1221VS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

the Jet 1221 stands for 12 diameter with 21" center to center. I find you want the 21" to fit a buffing system, or power tap system.
I loved mine and ran it for 4.5 years, then got a heavier unit. It has the fastest belt change on the market. If you get it, bolt it to a table and you can do bigger hybrid bowls, or resin bowls.

If you get the Laguna 1216, you will want the bed extension if you power tap or want to use a Beall buffing system.

power tap tooling: https://nichetoolsonline.com/ols/products/tlstap-2mt-kit

monophoto

The Jet has a 21" bed while the Laguna has an 18" bed.

Regardless of the lathe you buy, you need to recognize that the nominal length of the bed and the actual working length are different lengths. The worst case scenario is probably the situation where you hold a spindle blank in a scroll chuck, and then drill an axial hole from the tailstock end. In that scenario, the scroll chuck will be about 3" deep, the Jacobs chuck will be about the same, while the drill bit will consume another 3-5" depending on the bit being used. In other words, upwards of 9-11" of effective bed length will the lost to the tooling, which then limits the actual maximum length of the spindle blank you can work with.

So if you are looking to do longer spindles, you need to be thinking about either lathes with longer beds, or lathes that can accommodate bed extensions.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Advantages and disadvantages for both. I have a Jet Mini and a Nova. If I had to start over, knowing what I know now; between the two you mentioned. It would be Laguna hands-down. It may depend on what you think you will be doing in 2-5 years, as opposed to what you are doing now.

However, I suspect either will be nice. I saw/used the Laguna at a demo - sweet! Very solid.

NYTurner

I can buy these machines, they are in stock and have the same price. What to choose? Thank :)
Andrey
I just went through this last month but also included the Rikon 70-220VSR in the mix. I was upgrading from my 10 year old Jet mini 1014i.
The Laguna was at the top of my list but it had the shortest warranty and if i bought the bed extension, stand, liight accesoris it was was only a small $ jump to a Powermatic. Then I read about safety concerns reaching across your spinning or flailing work to shut off the top controls.
The Jet and Rikon had 5 year warranties the Jet would go down to a slower speed on the low end but there was a big price difference in the lathe and the stands. The Jets were backordered for months at $850 us and the Rikon went on sale in March for 15% off for $595.
I could not see the difference in cost btween them the Rikon is 12" x 20: and has a 3" quill travel. I puchased the WEN brand stand on Amazon delived in 2 days. Identical to the Rikon branded stand since the Rikon was backordered for 2 monthe and saved $70 there.
My 10 year old Jet was great but much different than the NEW Jet quality, I sold it with the Jet stand in 2 days. I have turned a few things so far on the Rikon and no complaints happy with my decision.

JimB

You don't mention what you want to be able to turn. Several folks have already talked about spindle turning. The Laguna is capable of outboard turning so if you want to be able to doing slightly larger bowls or platters it would be the better choice.

also, I believe the Laguna has a 1" tool post and the Jet 5/8". That would make the tool rest more stable under more aggressive turning and perhaps make a difference for you as far as buying other tool rests.

Top Bottom