Laguna 1216 in the house

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

Finally carved out time to set this beauty up. To test it I turned a Saturn acrylic and my first impression is smooooth and quiet. That was definitely the easiest pen to turn because of the smoothness. I also quickly set it to the fastest range: 648-3694 rpm.

I am very pleased with this purchase. I'll add lights and dust collection soon. The extension to the bed is on order.

Attachments

• 15AD9D8D-0E44-4623-8D53-A531B0F02AD4.jpeg
    15AD9D8D-0E44-4623-8D53-A531B0F02AD4.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 6F53E605-C525-47D5-82DE-98C0839A2D82.jpeg
    6F53E605-C525-47D5-82DE-98C0839A2D82.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

The new lathe matches the new floor - spotless, so I assume new also :)

Have fun.
Floor came with shop when we bought our home three years ago. I have tried not to mess it up. So far, so good.

My wife's gift to me roughly every month is to help by vacuuming the entire shop. I put stuff away and organize the place. With the new lathe she did it recently. I am a very, very lucky husband!

Last edited:

mmayo

Looking good. Loving mine.

Thanks for the tip. After loosely building the stand and firmly attaching the mobility kit, I carefully hoisted the lathe on top. I saw what you saw, a substantial distance between the lathe and the stand. I used a clamp to pull the stand to match the lathe and bolted it all together. It indeed does fit and after tightening it all, it seems rock solid yet able to be easily moved.

I appreciate your tip a lot. Thanks again

mmayo

Two minor caveats:

1. The banjo hole is very tight so far. I might sand that or do something to make the hole a tiny bit bigger. I was trying a once favorite Rick Herrell tool rest for which I have numerous round bar attachments. I'll try my small Robust rest next.
2. With the lathe "off" you see the speed indicator all of the time, it reads 000. It is off and nothing moves, but it looks "on". When you switch the lathe on it looks the same, but the speed dial is then operational.

Jimbo97

Finally carved out time to set this beauty up. To test it I turned a Saturn acrylic and my first impression is smooooth and quiet. That was definitely the easiest pen to turn because of the smoothness. I also quickly set it to the fastest range: 648-3694 rpm.

I am very pleased with this purchase. I'll add lights and dust collection soon. The extension to the bed is on order.
I've been looking to get one of these as well... Let me know if you have any other thoughts on it that are negative, by chance.... From what I have heard from others, they really like it as well.

mmayo

I've been looking to get one of these as well... Let me know if you have any other thoughts on it that are negative, by chance.... From what I have heard from others, they really like it as well.

That's all I have for negatives; the thing is wonderful. I don't plan of making huge things like giant bowls so smooth and well made are what I want. It easily beats my midi Rikon in numerous ways.

mmayo

The banjo hole is perfect with two other 1" tool rests, sorry to say Rick 1" might need a diet. I really like and use Ricks stuff on every pen so no offense intended.

mmayo

After five more pens another big plus (for me) is that the 1216 stops immediately after hitting the off button. My midi Rikon wound down for a long long time. During stop and check and then turn again it helps.

Top Bottom