Lacquered Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dominic Greco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominic Greco

Hi everyone,
I've been out of the loop a bit since my computer took a nose dive 2 weeks ago. After some surgery, it's now back up and running.

Anyway, I've managed to turn a bunch of pens since the last time I was here. If you remember, I asked a lot of questions about lacquering. Well, after 30 or so pens I think I've just about got the process down now. :>) Here are some pictures of the best ones.

The first pic is of (2) Jr Gents pens the Titanium Roller ball on the left is Cherry Burl and Platinum Fountain pen on the right is Red Malee Burl.

2005102423529_Jr%20Gents%20pens%20caps-off.jpg

The next is of (5) 10K Roller ball pens
From left to right:Red Malee Burl, Bocote, Cocobolo, Brown Malee, Maple Burl

200510242359_10K%20Roller%20ball%20pens.jpg

The last (7) are Satin Nickle and Satin Gold Plated European pens
From left to right:
Figured/Spalted Maple, Spalted Beech, Cherry Burl, Curly maple Zircote, Maple Burl and Bloodwood
2005102423654_lacquered%20pens%201.jpg

The finish was several coats of PSI's Lacquer Based Sanding Sealer followed by multiple light coats of Deft Spray Lacquer (Satin). After some experimentation, I found that allowing the finish to dry for 4 to 5 days worked best for me. I then wet sanded from 1500 to 12,000 MM, buffed with Griot's Machine Polish, and followed with a coat of Renaissance Wax.

This is definately a finish suited for production runs. In order for me to make it more economical, I figured that I needed to have batches of (10) to (20) pens. I made a spray rack from a 1x3x24" and some 3" long nails (looks like Uncle Fester's bed from the old "Addamm's Family" TV show). The trick I found was light coats, and to rotate the blanks 1/4 turn between coats.

So far it's working out fine. The finish is really going over big with my high-end customers. Since I've adjusted my photo booth and camera to eliminate glare, the pictures really don't show you how shiny and "deep" the finish comes out. IMHO it rivals CA glue for the "WOW" factor.

See ya around,
Dominic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Smaller pictures showing the flash you eliminated would be appreciated (at least by me)
They appear to be satin as opposed to gloss.
Is that the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom