lacquer on dyed stabilized burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

I am making some kaleidoscopes and want to do more intricate turning. I have not liked trying to use a CA finish when there are tight spots to get into. I was thinking on using Minwax rattle can lacquer. The wood I am using is dyed stabilized maple burl. Would there be any problem using spay lacquer with a dyed stabilized wood?

jttheclockman

Older thread on the subject.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/can-i-use-laquer-varnish-to-finish-stabilized-wood.52558/

Never tried it so this is just an opinion but top coats such as lacquer and poly attach to wood fibers and then build by either melting into each other as lacquer does or with poly it needs a bit of tooth to adhere each coat. Depending on how well or how much stabilizing fluid was absorbed and closed off the wood pores could make it challenging in the fact of cracking and flaking off at a later time. Again an educated guess on my part. Maybe other will have a more definite answer from past experience. By the way with CA it is a glue so will stick to just about anything.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Lacquer can cause some dyes to run or streak. In other words some lacquer will dissolve some dyes and it can get messy. TEST before using on the kaleidoscopes. Spray cans with light coats with overnight cure times.

Top Bottom