Lacewood Designer for today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. Well, it's still raining here, so my morning's diversion was to make another pen - he he he, I can hardly wait for bitter cold (any excuse to work in the shop rather than outside)! I haven't made anything out of Lacewood for a long time, and another recent thread reminded me how nice it looks - Thanks David (Alchemist), Lacewood blanks are pretty! I think I might like it most because it kinda-sorta resembles the Hairy Oak pens that Casey (CjG78) has posted. I wonder how Lacewood would look if it were cut across the grain like that. Unfortunately I cut all of my Lacewood inline with the grain. It was pressed it into a PSI Gold Designer kit.

Regards,
Dave

Multiple views of pen as it was rotated:
IMG_1465 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1466 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1467 Cropped.jpg

And another, less technical-documentary view:
IMG_1464 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

AS a lover and promoter of the great hairy oak and close friend of Casey I want you to know your pen is unique and beautiful,full of surprises and quality of manufacture.It is reminiscent of so many Australian timbers from Tasmania, around our wonderful country it is freckled in the most consistent fashion by nature,immaculate finishing with tremendous presentation Dave.I might have known this pen equates so well with the Cocobolo Cigar of recent date,your turnings are of a high standard,I salute you Dave. A family of my early relatives spent some time in Nebraska in the 1800,s,the senior member passed away during a bitter winter at Winter Quarters on the way to settle in Utah Pioneers of their time from Scotland.

Peter.

Last edited:

egnald

AS a lover and promoter of the great hairy oak and close friend of Casey I want you to know your pen is unique and beautiful,full of surprises and quality of manufacture.It is reminiscent of so many Australian timbers from Tasmania, around our wonderful country it is freckled in the most consistent fashion by nature,immaculate finishing with tremendous presentation Dave.I might have known this pen equates so well with the Cocobolo Cigar of recent date,your turnings are of a high standard,I salute you Dave. A family of my early relatives spent some time in Nebraska in the 1800,s,the senior member passed away during a bitter winter at Winter Quarters on the way to settle in Utah Pioneers of their time from Scotland.

Peter.

Peter,

Thank you for your kind words. Your family connection is very interesting. I frequently travel through the village of Florence, now part of Omaha, Nebraska, which was built on the site of the 1846 Winter Quarters. Florence has a very rich history as it is originally one of the oldest cities in Nebraska, incorporated in 1857, a full 10 years before the Nebraska Territory was admitted as a US State. I would assume that your ancestor is buried along with the other 358 people that died that winter in what is now called the Mormon Pioneer Cemetery in Florence.

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

tomas

I thought the same thing after first turning them, so I got some diagonal cut blanks. I found they were much more difficult to turn and I wound up with both blank broken along the diagonal grain. However, there is another method of blank cutting that elongates the markings. Not surprisingly, they market it as Leopard Wood. It turns beautifully, too.

Tomas

howsitwork

Dave

Very nice work there !

Now you've given me a mission ( once the painting is finished anywayšŸ˜¢) to find and cut up some blanks form a piece of London Plane I have squirrelled away in the workshop loft .

Top Bottom