Label Casting???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Has the idea of label casting ever gotten to the point where there is a good and tried method??? What procedures do you follow when casting labels??? What materials do you use to make the labels and do you spary lacquer over them before casting??? What are some of the pitfalls of casting labels??? Not sure if casting labels is better than attaching them to an already turned blank and top coating with CA. What is the advantage of casting them??? Thanks for the replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Not sure if casting labels is better than attaching them to an already turned blank and top coating with CA. What is the advantage of casting them??? Thanks for the replys.

It would be very difficult to do this unless you turned straight bushing to
bushing. The label would tend to buckle when applied to an uneven surface.

jttheclockman

Thanks Don. Wasn't sure if anyone was interested in this. I am just now getting into label casting. Not sure if I want to cast them in resin or attach them to wood or acrylic and just top coat. I tried the wood route and so far it has been a failure. I have some testor's decals coming and wil try that along with their spray on stuff.

tommyd

label casting

here are a couple of castings I have done . The first one was just picture glued to tube and then clear cast over it last one is decal just stuck on over casting .haven't done any thing else to it.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 399
  • ugly pen.jpg
    ugly pen.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 390

its_virgil

OK, here is how I cast labels:
(1) I use photoshop to create the label. I first determine the size of the logo and place each element of the logo on a separate layer so they can be moved around for different looks. A dark background looks best. The seams can be hidden better. I try to use black if possible and color the edges of the label with a black sharpie. The seam is overlapped.
i) keep the logo elements from getting close to the edges. I try to keep them about 1/16 inch from the ends. Other photoshop type programs can be used to create the label.

(2) Print the label. I have been using Avery 18163 laser/ink jet labels. I have also used Avery 8253, Avery 8254, and Avery 8165 (full sheet). You can check the numbers for the sizes.

(3) cut he logo from the label. The logo will be smaller than the label itself. I use an exacto knife and straight edge.

(4) Painting the tubes will help. I found that the brass color was darkening the lighter colors on the logo. I usually paint the tubes white, but if all colors are very dark I don't paint them. I try to use dark colors for the background...I prefer black if possible. But sometimes, dark colors or black just doesn't fit the logo.

(5) lay the cut out logo face down and remove the peel off back. Place the tube onto the label and press. Roll the tube to one end of the label and then roll the other way to overlap the edge. Roll with moderate pressure under you hand to get the label pressed down as good as possible. Work on a clean surface with clean hands. I usually stick on the labels somewhere besides the shop.

(6) you are now ready to plug the ends and cast. Do you need help with this part also?

(7) I can try to post (tomorrow) pictures of some of the casts I've made.

(8) Using decals may be easier. There have been several threads on using decals. Someone just posted a decal pen in the last few days.

I probably forgot something or will thinbk of something to add.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

tommyd

on the one that I casted I just roll the picture so the seam just overlaps ( you can still see the seam a little) I like the casting better because it looks deeper. Just started using decals seamsto be perty easy. Haven't tryed to seal decal yet they say ca will work and the heat will remove edges so you don't see them.

gwilki

John: I follow much the same process as Don. So far, I've been lucky in that most of those that I've done have a border around the logo. I can cut the label so that the border remains, then I don't have a seam to consider. I've done them labels on poly clay blanks in the same way,then cast them, too. Works fine.

polarbear1

I have cast close to 200 label pen blanks maybe more, I have experimented, with a number of ways to do it and the way Don suggest I have the most success. I used to use a black border around the label, if not color the entire label black (besides the logo or picture etc.). but the last few I have cast in two steps clear resin on 1/2 to 3/4 of the logo side of the tube, and black or white opaque resin on the rest, it hides the seam, and makes a pretty nice pen.

jttheclockman

Does anyone have examples of your castings??? Like to see the border you all talk about and also the seams you talk about. Thanks alot.

its_virgil

Here is a picture of a pen I did for Anthony. Also a label I made for myself and a couple of pens made using it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Does anyone have examples of your castings??? Like to see the border you all talk about and also the seams you talk about. Thanks alot.

Attachments

• pw_pen.jpg
    pw_pen.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 525
  • Don axis (Small).jpg
    Don axis (Small).jpg
    27 KB · Views: 283
  • axis.JPG
    axis.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 344

jttheclockman

Don

What I am interested in is how are disguising the seams??? In the ones you shown what part is the decal??? Does the decal go all the way around the tube??? Did you paint the tubes on those??? Thanks.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Usually you can hide a seam under a clip on a pen with a cap or a sierra, but if you're careful with the graphics and have them either busy like the one below or dark they're really not much of a problem. This one is a snake skin that Don scanned on his scanner, sent me the file, I printed and we made a few faux snake pens. If there is a lot of white on the label, its a good idea to paint the tube; otherwise it's not necessary. I've done many photos and other labels and no one has even mentioned anything about a seam. They're usually more impressed with the customization. The labels go all the way around and overlap 1/16 to 1/32". A small seam is expected with this process. Go for it.

200721932628_seam.jpg

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Don

What I am interested in is how are disguising the seams??? In the ones you shown what part is the decal??? Does the decal go all the way around the tube??? Did you paint the tubes on those??? Thanks.

I think the black is simple enough, but it might be a bit more difficult with other colors.
When you wrap the tube and leave overlap, the black wraps onto the black.

Notice how his label has blank black space at the top and bottom. You don't
want your graphics to be edge to edge, because you need that empty
space for the overlap. That allows the label to adhere to the label as well
as to the tube.

The edge of the paper label is white, and that shows up against the black.
So touching up with a Sharpie marker hides that seam.
You can do the same with other colors, provided your Sharpie is a close
enough color match.

Hint: Don't use a sharpie if you're going to put anything over the label
such as CA, lacquer, fixative etc. It makes the Sharpie color leech out and
it doesn't stay it's original color. DAMHIKT.

its_virgil

What I am interested in is how are disguising the seams???
Disguising the seam is harder with lighter colored backgrounds. I try to keep the backgrounds dark and black is my favorite. I overlap the seam just a little and paint the edge of the overlap with black sharpie to hide the white line caused when the label is cut. Other color backgrounds I do similar. I have a pkg of sharpies with lots of color choices. Other markers have colors also. But, getting a color(marker) the exact same as the color background is difficult. I sometimnes try to scan a color made by a marker and see if I can use the eyedropper color picker to duplicate it. But, I plan to stay with black backgrounds.

In the ones you shown what part is the decal??? Does the decal go all the way around the tube??? Did you paint the tubes on those??? Thanks.
No decals at all. The label/logo is totally printed on computer labels that are white...address labels. I gave the numbers I use in a previous post in this thread. Are you asking about decals...real decals..or using decal to mean the printed mailing labels.

The label goes all the way around but the actual art work does not. I suppose it could. I try to center the artwork and that places the seam on the back side 180 degrees from the artwork.

The axis logo/label was painted white because the white field around the work "axis" darkened when I didn't paint the tube...because of the brass tube "bleeded" through the white.

The penworks label was painted white. So, yes, I do paint and mostly paint white. You can decide what color to paint on each individual label.

I did two label/logo blanks for Arizona Silhouette (for Bill and Kathy as a gift) and used their website colors. The background was turquoise and the other artwork was black. It looked terrible on a not painted tube to I recast and painted the tubes white. The seam was not toatlly invisible. Black is what I will do if I possibly can.

You're welcome and ...
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jttheclockman

Now I have a better idea as to what you are doing. Do you apply any lacquer or anything over the labels before casting??? Is there anything need to be done to help adhering before casting??? Hopefully will give these a try this weekend. One last question, if i read this right it is not a good idea to make the label as long as the tube???? Keep it just short of the ends???? Thanks alot for the help everyone.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If you use the labels Don suggested, no need to overcoat. Not all labels react the same and some definitely look better than others. I use the Avery 82XX series with an ink jet printer with good luck. I have tried others and the colors washed out. Make the labels longer than the tube - just a little which helps seal the cork to prevent leaks. Don't forget to put a weight in the tube or use weighted end plugs.

Here's some more photos that needed a black border on three of them. Just used a graphics program to create a black box and then pasted the picture over it. Just another way to deal with aspect ratio. None of these tubes were painted, but then again there isn't much white space.

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• Artists.jpg
    Artists.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 352

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
One last question, if i read this right it is not a good idea to make the label as long as the tube???? Keep it just short of the ends???? Thanks alot for the help everyone.

I might be misreading the question. (wasn't addressed to me anyway :tongue: )
Sorry, Don, don't mean to answer for you either.

I'd make the label just a bit LONGER than the tube. It gives you room for
error when you apply the label to the tube, and you can always shave off
the excess with an Exacto knife when you're done.

jttheclockman

Those are really excellent. Thanks for showing. I now get what you are talking about black border. It did not sink in at first but I see it now. Thanks and also see about the extra. I just some label paper yesterday and no it was not what was mentioned but will try it and if it does not work I will get what was recomended.

Last edited:
Top Bottom