La-Z-Boy Pedestal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chuck Key

Chuck Key

A friend has been diagnosed with IBM disease. Inclusion body myositis is a rare inflammatory condition of the muscles that causes weakness. One group of muscles involved in his case are the large thigh muscles making it difficult for him to stand from a sitting position. We have talked about raising his Lazy Boy recliner about four inches several times to help improve his situation. His chair has a round base as shown below.

attachment.php

We considered two options.

Option 1 was to attach about six, 4 inch bun feet around the base and a 7th in the center. These would be off the shelf stock and use off the shelf mounting hardware.

Option 2, the option selected, was to construct a plywood pedestal as roughly illustrated in the following photo:

attachment.php

My first step was to figure out how much plywood to buy. I used Cut list optimizer as an aid. I needed six 28 inch squares, 3 solid and 3 could be glue ups. That would mean one full sheet and one quarter sheet of plywood needed.

attachment.php

Step 2. Rough in the circles. Again, 3 are solid and 3 are glue ups. The glue ups are marked up in the photo below and will be spoked to reduce the weight of the pedestal.

attachment.php

The following photo shows assembly progress. the first wafer, the one on the bottom, was cut round with a router using a circle jig. It was then use a template to cut the remaining 5 layers. Each layer was added by glueing it to the template circle using a router flower bit to match previous layers.

attachment.php

The next photo is top layer glued on to the lower layers. It will need to be routed with the follower bit to match the lower layers.

attachment.php

Top ring glued on routed and hickory stain applied.

attachment.php

Project complete and installed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• pedestal1.jpg
    pedestal1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 589
  • pedestal2.jpg
    pedestal2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 495
  • pedestal3.jpg
    pedestal3.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 477
  • pedestal4.jpg
    pedestal4.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 479
  • pedestal5.jpg
    pedestal5.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 483
  • pedestal6.jpg
    pedestal6.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 466
  • pedestal7.jpg
    pedestal7.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 488
  • pedestal8.jpg
    pedestal8.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 487
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Nice work around. Hope it works out well for him. I contemplated getting my Mom one of those easy lift chairs they have on the market that help assist elderly to get up and out of a chair. They seem to work well too. I never did. There was always someone there to help her as she got older and less capable.

dogcatcher

That looks professional. Because of a spinal cord injury I have one of the lift chairs that raises and then tilts forward. At first I thought it was overkill, but as I have aged, I have found it to be a great deal.

Top Bottom