Koa pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grpass

Just saw an ad on Craigslist, Eugene, Ore. Someone has 300 or so pieces of curly KOA pen blanks. Mostly shorter pieces. $100.00. Sounds interesting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I just looked up the ad. . He shows a pic (for a portion of the blanks) and they are not all Koa, by any means !!! .

Plus, he states that they are 3" (about 200 of them) and 2" long.

If you lived next door and could pop over for a good look, it could be worth your while, but otherwise ?????

Last edited:

SteveG

Curly Koa is outstandingly beautiful, but non-curly Koa is way down on the pretty wood list. I looked at that ad, and was underwhelmed with what I saw there. I would go a different route, and look for individual or small groups of stunning curly Koa. I have a bit of experience with this wood , having lived the better part of 40 years in Hawaii, and made a living building custom Koa furniture and pens from this exquisite wood.

cmiller

Hi friends, I live in Eugene. I just emailed him to ask a bunch of questions, the main one being: Can I buy the nice ones and leave the not-so-nice ones? I'll let you know if I end up with any, maybe I can distribute to folks here that are interested. Maybe SteveG is a better source for nice Koa.

cmiller

Here how the Q&A went. I don't think I'll be buying the lot.

Hi, do you still have these? Are you willing to sell just some or do they have to go all at once? Am I reading it right that there are no pieces longer than three inches?
Colin
Eugene

Response: The pen blanks were sized to match the two most common pen sizes so 3 inches is the longest.
I want to sell all of them, not deal with piecing them out a few at a time.
I do have longer pieces of koa, I just haven's advertised them yet. I have pieces for making jewelry boxes, etc. and small turning items like bottle stoppers.

Top Bottom