Koa - No segmenting...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Koa is popular today!

This timber has ample Chatoyance that I cannot capture in a still photo. It was/is enough to prevent me from segmenting the blank. It stands alone in all it's glory! Last of three pens for an order with the wood supplied. Others are on the drying rack with a WOP finish.

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg
IMG_1577.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lefyldepens

Koa is popular today!

This timber has ample Chatoyance that I cannot capture in a still photo. It was/is enough to prevent me from segmenting the blank. It stands alone in all it's glory! Last of three pens for an order with the wood supplied. Others are on the drying rack with a WOP finish.

View attachment 232806

View attachment 232805View attachment 232807
Wow Gorgeous Pen, loving the wood. I have a piece somewhere, I'm going to dig it out and make one

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nice Job Mark and a great looking pen. I really like working with Koa, you never know what you're going to get.

This was an interesting blank. I cut the very nasty end piece (bottom of the block) that had a lot of burl swirls and had some cracks that needed to be tamed. The chatoyance is nice, but I have seen better, the burl is very striking in better light.

I still need to dig into the box you sent me and be creative... Hmnnn, maybe some Koa trim rings? I bet they would look nice.

This was an interesting blank. I cut the very nasty end piece (bottom of the block) that had a lot of burl swirls and had some cracks that needed to be tamed. The chatoyance is nice, but I have seen better, the burl is very striking in better light.

I still need to dig into the box you sent me and be creative... Hmnnn, maybe some Koa trim rings? I bet they would look nice.

I've got large plastic storage boxes with Koa, probably 6 or 7. Not really highly figured but if you ever need any let me know, I can get it cut and sent your way. I've also got pieces big enough to make bottle stoppers in you're into those. I do like the idea behind the trim rings. I did try it once with Holly but the Koa (sanding dust) bled into the Holly and I wasn't impressed with it. The person who got the pen liked it so that's all that counts...I guess.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've got large plastic storage boxes with Koa, probably 6 or 7. Not really highly figured but if you ever need any let me know, I can get it cut and sent your way. I've also got pieces big enough to make bottle stoppers in you're into those. I do like the idea behind the trim rings. I did try it once with Holly but the Koa (sanding dust) bled into the Holly and I wasn't impressed with it. The person who got the pen liked it so that's all that counts...I guess.

I have so much wood - more than I'll ever use. But I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind. But, I intend to try some for trim rings next week, while it is fresh in my mind and my skills are still fresh.

Top Bottom