Knurling Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hokie

I can't imagine acrylic would respond to a knurling tool the same way metal does. My thought would be to apply right and left hand threading down the length of the blank with a metal lathe to create the cross-hatch effect.

jttheclockman

I do not think wood knurling tools would work either. If you have one give it a try. I would not do it on a mandrel because you will be putting alot of pressure on the blank. The only other thing is a Beall Pen Wizard.

carlmorrell

I just bought a clamp type knurling tool. I turn more metal these days than plastic. A few weeks ago, I made a tactical pen and was a little disappointed that the tip end did not have knurling. My first thought was to try knurling the bottom of the blank. I have some turned blanks that I can experiment on, stay tuned...

carlmorrell

Yeah, not a good idea. As soon as I turned up the pressure, the blank exploded. Based on my expertise an exhaustive tests (1 try), I would say leave the knurler for metal.

20240215_165114[1].jpg

TDahl

Not sure what design you are looking for (diamond design or a horizontal line design like Jalbert's), but Rockler has a spiraling and texturing tool by Robert Sorby that might do the trick.

Top Bottom