Knurl GT with one of my first cast blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkeith

jkeith

It was actually my 5th attempt to cast with Alumilite (first 4 were not so good!) I finally got some good color separation so made it into a pen! I am pretty happy with it, please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• orangeblue.jpg
    orangeblue.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 212
  • orangeblue-knurl.jpg
    orangeblue-knurl.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 226
  • orangeblue-knurl1.jpg
    orangeblue-knurl1.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 178
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That is nice !

I presume that on the left is the blank as it came out of the mold.
What did you use as the mold ?

It looks great! Casting is a trial & error process. You'll have many duds but will learn what works. It took me a couple of gallons until I got consistently good blanks. You have the advantage of getting help here so it should go faster for you. I pretty much started with almost zero knowledge.

jkeith

Yes the blank pictured is the one I used for the pen. I bought some 1/2" HDPE sheet from amazon and made a few molds. This came from a single blank mold I made with it. I figured a single blank would be better for testing as it uses less resin until I figure out how it all works.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jkeith

You're off to a good start! Great colors and separation! What did you use for the blue and orange?

The blue was alumilite blue dye with some silver alumilite metallic powder, the orange was alumilite orange dye and a little pearl ex orange pigment to make it opaque.

Top Bottom