Knotty Pine Urn/Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Finished this yesterday. Plan A was to create a piece for a special idea which involved decorating the outside.
When SHMBO saw it she told me that I wasn't going to decorate that piece, it's too pretty on it's own. Apparently!!!!!
So, it got finished with 3 coats of Wipe on Poly.
Finished size is 7 x 5inches.

Plan B for my idea is still in progress.:biggrin:

Thanks for looking and as usual C & C are welcome.

Bob.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Very Nice Bob!
Showing a project to the wife before it's completed to your plan....big mistake!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the knots - It does look great as is. Did you turn it green? No splitting from the pith that I could see.

Nice.

brownsfn2

Only you could make pine look so good. I have enjoyed your bowl work for a while now. This one is just as stunning as the rest. Really like the shape and the way you oriented the wood. Very nice!

robutacion

Finished this yesterday. Plan A was to create a piece for a special idea which involved decorating the outside.
When SHMBO saw it she told me that I wasn't going to decorate that piece, it's too pretty on it's own. Apparently!!!!!
So, it got finished with 3 coats of Wipe on Poly.
Finished size is 7 x 5inches.

Plan B for my idea is still in progress.:biggrin:

Thanks for looking and as usual C & C are welcome.

Bob.

Yes, absolutely Bob, I 100% agree with your wife on that one, hell yeah...!:biggrin:

More than 50% of those Knotty pine logs, didn't make it, even though, they were all cut from pine tree that have been cut years ago but, due to the tight canopy of the pine forest, and the inexperience of the person that done it, the trees stood upright, hardly moving from the stump/original location.

When I salvage that wood, I knew that I was dealing with a different species than what the plantation was suppose to be, the Radiata Pine. The ones salvaged were younger and growing in tight spots, than the original plantation trees about 30 years old, they needed removing and that was what the fellow that own the land decided to do but, he soon realise that the only thing he could do, was to cut/separate the tree from the root and let it rot with time.

I had those logs undercover for years before I noticed that many had cracked right through the centre, when they shouldn't but, I wasted nothing, made lots of knotty pine pen blanks and all the rest was used as firewood mixed up with dry gum.

I then decided to store them but I need to clean all the bark and branches sticks so I took them all for a spin in my lathe and some super magnum tools, the small lathe room filled up with bark and shavings, that much that my head started touching the tin roof, mind you, with the floor clean, I have a lot less than 1' of available space so, was not that difficult to built up the floor with bark.

I kept telling to people that, those logs where my cheaper version of the Norfolk Pine trees with all those branches coming out all around the same area of the log.

I've made and seen, some very exquisite pieces made by others, with these very logs, I get great satisfaction when I see another of them, done up right and that one Mr. Bob, is no exception, I'm glad your wife got you sort out, on that one, she has good taste...!:wink::biggrin:

I apologise for another one of my "normal size" posts but, your work made me jump into my "pile" of forgotten thoughts...! :):biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom