Knot in a Window

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

Had a little experiment putting a knot into an oval.
Will try with a bigger knot next time.
Ignore underturning at nib end.
Alan

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 296
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I like the idea. That is taking it another step. You do not see much development with the knot any more but this opens possibilities. Nice work. Going to have to mull that idea around some. Thanks for showing.

Dehn0045

very creative twist. I like the combination. The knot is a real crowd pleaser, always a "how did you do that" response, this takes it to the next level!

Mr Vic

Good job Alan. Looks like the knot is on 45 deg cuts. Might try at 60 deg for a more oval knot to match and fill up the large oval. Just a thought.

Alan Morrison

Good job Alan. Looks like the knot is on 45 deg cuts. Might try at 60 deg for a more oval knot to match and fill up the large oval. Just a thought.
Vic, I've made a few with different sizes knots incorporated into the oval window, but the bigger the knot the bigger the oval has to be. It's difficult to get a good balance, and super difficult to get the knot in the centre of the oval as well.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Mighty impressive Alan, on a slim yet! The alignment within the window is a real bugger and yours looks good!

Well done.
Mark, you understand the problem centering within the window. I had to scrap a few before this one and I'm not happy with the size of the knot.
I tried different sized knots but they were too large for the window and didnt look right when not precisely placed. More experiments required.

Alan Morrison

I like the idea. That is taking it another step. You do not see much development with the knot any more but this opens possibilities. Nice work. Going to have to mull that idea around some. Thanks for showing.
John, the experiment continues. As Mark says the positioning within the oval is a real bugger and that's the case. Bigger knots need bigger ovals which then puts the pen out of balance. When I get one which I am happy with then I will post it.
Take care, John.
Alan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, you understand the problem centering within the window. I had to scrap a few before this one and I'm not happy with the size of the knot.
I tried different sized knots but they were too large for the window and didnt look right when not precisely placed. More experiments required.
Yes, these are real buggers. I played with these earlier this year and will eventually get back to it. Here is a review of multiple failures. 🤔 I'll add, at 3/4" OD the center line was aligned, but as I turned it down the inside alignment became worse and worse. The alignment was off both for the center line and the side alignment. But, the challenge is fun.

IMG_1938.jpg

Top Bottom