knives: A new hobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MR2MAN

MR2MAN

After my girlfriend's father commissioned me to make some knife handles for some blades that he bought, I became addicted to knife making. First is Kingwood, second is cocobolo, and the third is spalted oak that I stabilized from my yard.

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 265
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MR2MAN

Beautimus I might add!

That is spalted oak that I stabilized myself. It was the top of a tree that fell on my shed during a storm. I realized that it was spalted and started drooling. I bought a vacuum pump and some cactus juice, then started stabilizing and making stuff :)

Janster

...very nice work! Are you purchasing the Blades and then making the handles? Well done!.......Jan

MR2MAN

...very nice work! Are you purchasing the Blades and then making the handles? Well done!.......Jan

My girlfriend's father purchased the blades on eBay. I'm just making the handles for him. A relative started making knife handles and he wanted some. Long story short... He asked me if I would make some knife handles for him if he bought some blades. Of course I had to say yes! I gave him the first two on Father's Day. He couldn't stop talking about how my knives were better than the relative's knives! I think he likes them! I still have a few more to go, but I think I'm doing alright :)

robutacion

My girlfriend's father purchased the blades on eBay. I'm just making the handles for him. A relative started making knife handles and he wanted some. Long story short... He asked me if I would make some knife handles for him if he bought some blades. Of course I had to say yes! I gave him the first two on Father's Day. He couldn't stop talking about how my knives were better than the relative's knives! I think he likes them! I still have a few more to go, but I think I'm doing alright :)

Yes, you are quite "alright", I may say...!

I was a young boy when I got into making knives, using whatever I could find, I wish I had some pics of some of them, they were rude and crude all the way rough, considering that I din't have much as tools to work with and I was probably 10 years old when I made my first one out a hacksaw blade and some dry cane that grows everywhere in that country, similar to bamboo but not as strong...!

I'm 57 now and every so often, I have the urge to make a knife and all depends on what the urge is about, making the blade or making the handle so, I often by blades on eBay and dress them up as I feel like, only to give them away, later on...!

Anyway, I like your work you're doing on those handles, very "clean" work, I like that. These new type Damascus steels/blades, do infact, create a wow factor on their own, some of them are just exquisite stuff...!

Wood stabilization and wooden knife handles are just a must and you seem to be doing a good job stabilizing so, congrats all the way around...!

Knife making in its true meaning, is a very fine art however, I've seen known knife makers that are capable to produce some of the best quality blades you may find but, their handles making is far inferior, on the other hand I seen the exact opposite, I can also say that I've seen many that have the right balance between the 2, that makes for some great working/looking knives...!

As for addiction strenght, I don't think that is much of a difference in between knife or pen making, both are great abilities to have...!
:wink::biggrin:
Cheers
George

MR2MAN

Thanks George,
(I think)
I think you approve of the work that I'm doing. I take your comments as a compliment. I try to maintain a quality standard that could rival the best of knife scale makers. I'm new to the "sport" of knife making. Please, don't hold that against me. I'm just trying a new woodworking avenue. Thank you all for the great comments!

Janster

Thanks George,
(I think)
I think you approve of the work that I'm doing. I take your comments as a compliment. I try to maintain a quality standard that could rival the best of knife scale makers. I'm new to the "sport" of knife making. Please, don't hold that against me. I'm just trying a new woodworking avenue. Thank you all for the great comments!

...I may have some BIG Antler bases? Interested? PM for info/or trade?

herrwood

I have been thinking about knife making also, for fun not to make money. Read a book on it and have been checking local yard sales for old saw blades to get some metal from. I would like to do one from scratch .

OOPS

Knife making is about the only thing that makes me take a break from pen turning. Thanks for posting these photos.....it is inspirational!

Never made my own blade yet. A fellow pen turner in our local club used a saw blade to make a machete. Now that was a serious piece!

Top Bottom