Kitless rollerball in vintage cellulose acetate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stuckinohio

stuckinohio

Here's my second kitless capped pen that I have completed.

It's vintage blue lined cellulose acetate and C360 brass. The rollerball is a Schmidt PRS and it will accept a schmidt fountain pen nib. It accepts a long ink cartridge.

The cap threads are 10 x .75
the finial threads are 9 x .75 on both ends and the section to body.

Lewis

Attachments

• DSCN2691.jpg
    DSCN2691.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCN2698.jpg
    DSCN2698.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCN2699.jpg
    DSCN2699.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCN2705.jpg
    DSCN2705.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 235
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

Beautiful pen Lewis. I'm amazed you got away with a 10mm cap thread with a 9mm section thread. 11mm is the smallest I've been able to get away with. The brass and blue contrast is very nice. Are you going to clear coat the brass or let it patina? I think it will look even better as the brass darkens.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

stuckinohio

Thank you! I think the 10mm barely works. The first section I made was 11, which wouldn't work of course because the cap was too thin.

I am planning on letting it age. We'll see how I like it when it does!

Lewis

magpens

Dan, with that design it may not be necessary for the 10mm threads to be directly over any 9mm threads.

It seems that the central brass part may be integrated with the section all in one piece.

I'll have to ask Lewis about that.

Beautiful pen Lewis. I'm amazed you got away with a 10mm cap thread with a 9mm section thread. 11mm is the smallest I've been able to get away with. The brass and blue contrast is very nice. Are you going to clear coat the brass or let it patina? I think it will look even better as the brass darkens.

stuckinohio

Mal, that is correct. The section is all one piece with the section to body threads and section to cap both.

I had to do the shouldered section so I could keep the cap the same as the body. I don't see too many, if any vintage pens with cap and body the same material. This blue lined acetate is only a hair over 12mm. The inside diameter is perfect for 9mm threads. Barely remove any material with the 8.25 bit.

Good eye!

Lewis

Dan, with that design it may not be necessary for the 10mm threads to be directly over any 9mm threads.

It seems that the central brass part may be integrated with the section all in one piece.

I'll have to ask Lewis about that.

stuckinohio

Here's a bad picture of the first section I made for this pen. Made several mistakes on this and just started over!

Lewis

Attachments

• 20170409_210221.jpg
    20170409_210221.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 184

OZturner

Outstanding Pen, Lewis.
Fantastic Profile, and Proportions,
Magnificent Blank, and Superb Machining.
Excellent Fit's and Finishes,
Love the Blue to Brass Combination.
Thank you for the additional information on your construction.
Congratulations,
Brian.

bmachin

Really fine piece of work, Lewis. And a beautiful blank as well.

A quick question which may actually deserve its own thread. With both the cap and section threads on the same piece, did you do anything to make sure that you don't unscrew the section from the barrel while removing the cap? Is there something in fastener theory about this? Did you just get lucky?

I only ask because I've thought about it but have been too lazy to try it for myself.

Bill

stuckinohio

Really fine piece of work, Lewis. And a beautiful blank as well.

A quick question which may actually deserve its own thread. With both the cap and section threads on the same piece, did you do anything to make sure that you don't unscrew the section from the barrel while removing the cap? Is there something in fastener theory about this? Did you just get lucky?

I only ask because I've thought about it but have been too lazy to try it for myself.

Bill

Bill,

The threads are a little tight for the section to body, and the cap threads easily. I was going to work on the threads more, but I think this works. They aren't crazy tight or anything, but it takes more pressure for those than the cap to section.

Lewis

Jontello

Lewis,

This pen is AMAZING... great job. You are picking up on this kitless stuff quickly. I am excited to see what else you are going to come up with in the near future! Keep me updated on things friend.

If you ever need to someone to test out your pens let me know!

Jon

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

stuckinohio

Hi Jon,

Thank you! I've been meaning to PM you to let you know it was done, but kept forgetting! Got it ready right before MPG and it has been a busy week since I got back.

You need to hurry and start kitless too. You'll be sorry you waited so long. Trust me! It will be a little bit until I get another one done. I am waiting on 10mm and 12mm triple start tap and die sets to come in before I begin another with the vintage material. I will be doing a couple kitless clickers in the mean time however. I'll give you a heads up when they are done.

The kitless clickers are really fun to do, and much easier than the capped pens. You should start there first. You only need the tap for the clicker and a cheap tap and die in m9 x .75 for the nose cone, unless of course you want to use a kit nose cone!

Lewis

Lewis,

This pen is AMAZING... great job. You are picking up on this kitless stuff quickly. I am excited to see what else you are going to come up with in the near future! Keep me updated on things friend.

If you ever need to someone to test out your pens let me know!

Jon

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

stuckinohio

Thank you Sir! I appreciate it :) BTW, got a 14mm triple start set and found a 10 and 12mm triple start set, so I hope to improve a few things.

Lewis

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you Sir! I appreciate it :) BTW, got a 14mm triple start set and found a 10 and 12mm triple start set, so I hope to improve a few things.

Lewis

Good job! The 14mm will be pretty hefty. But that's OK. I like the 13mm myself. But I think the smaller diameters just might have some appeal to many. Have yourself some fun. :wink:

Top Bottom