Kitless Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Happy new year to everyone. Quick question--How do folks square off the ends of kitless pen pieces to get a nice fit when you're limited to a wood lathe? I know facing operations are pretty straightforward on a metal lathe, but I unfortunately don't have one. (Although I'm increasingly thinking I'd like to get one. Wish I had the space.) Do folks use a reamer and end mill? A sanding jig? Or do they freehand the face on the lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Happy New Year. You can use a parting tool to face the end of the blank. Pretty much have to eyeball it. Collet chucks are great for holding the blank. You want the end of the blank close to the head stock to minimize run out. Fortunately, I have a metal lathe, and haven't made a kitless pen on my wood lathe in years. Good luck!

duncsuss

I often use a scraper to "square off" the ends ... although square is not the right word to use, because I usually cut a slight angle so the outer edges of the two mating parts touch first.

More difficult is the internal corner (for example, where the tenon you are about to thread widens into the full width of the nib grip section). For this I have a scraper with both the front and the side ground to meet at less than 90 degrees so I can get all the way into that corner.

jalbert

You could probably chuck up a sanding disc in the tailstock and run that up into the end of whatever piece you're squaring off 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom