kitless practicing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fred Bruche

Fred Bruche

I made the blanks using Liquid Diamonds resin mixed with black onyx and red scarlet mica powders, kinda having a plan for the pen look, let that cure for a good 2 weeks. Then the turning and polishing started. Did I achieve what I had in mind? Almost, and learned a few things along the way. The black onyx parts ended up not as opaque as I envisioned, but I can live with that. The red/pinkish parts look a bit blah, not necessarily something I would use again in this context. Some of the threads are a bit too long and should be shortened by a couple turns on the next iteration. I also need to find a better way to polish the threads, I tried a few things but I'm not there yet. The Nib is an Edison #6 steel two-tone (a.k.a. Jowo #6). Good learning experience and I enjoyed making it. C&C welcome.

Attachments

• LD-mica-1.jpg
    LD-mica-1.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 251
  • LD-mica-2.jpg
    LD-mica-2.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 291
  • LD-mica-3.jpg
    LD-mica-3.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 248
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TG Design

It looks great, looks like you have worked out your thread to pen cap/body spacing. I like the shape of your section. I think the way you have designed your cap, you can integrate a clip with ease. Can't tell from your pictures, did you thread the top of the cap for the "red" end?
Can't wait to see your next one!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I admire you kitless folks, so I have no comments on process as these skills are not in my tool box.

But, I see nothing wrong with the pinkish sections, a nice combination in my opinion.

Very nice overall profile and appearance.

Fred Bruche

Thank you Tim!
Yes, the plan is to add a clip to some future prototype. I've been looking into whether a clip could be made using resin, maybe by making a silicon mold that would make it close to the final shape. I'm guessing it will be more brittle than a metal clip but I want to give it a try. I've scouted the library here and couldn't find an example so far.
None of the "red" "black" junctions are threaded, they are glued together with thick CA.

It looks great, looks like you have worked out your thread to pen cap/body spacing. I like the shape of your section. I think the way you have designed your cap, you can integrate a clip with ease. Can't tell from your pictures, did you thread the top of the cap for the "red" end?
Can't wait to see your next one!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Fred Bruche

Thanks Mark!
Since the body and cap are not completely opaque I feel it would look better if the pinkish sections had a matching/lower opacity. I'm new to using LD and mica powders, I'll have better control over these "problems" in a while :)

I admire you kitless folks, so I have no comments on process as these skills are not in my tool box.

But, I see nothing wrong with the pinkish sections, a nice combination in my opinion.

Very nice overall profile and appearance.

Top Bottom