Kitless Pen Book

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russ Hewitt

I have been turning for a while and want to move up to witless pens. Is there a comprehensive book on the subject? If no book, what is the best learning resource that follows a logical path? Everything I read online seems to be fragmented and disjointed. TIA. Russ

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

There are a few guys who have youtube videos outlining the process. Search kitless or Bespoke pen making. Here are a few to get you started.
Steve 4948
RJB Woodturner
Jim Hinze
Stephen from Just Turning
Lots of info here in the library.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

MedWoodWorx

I think that rjb's utube channel is the best channel dedicated to penturning. Besides kitless penmaking you will also improve your kit penmaking skills, loads of tips and advice.

Valleyboy

I used the Beaufort Ink information mentioned above when I was starting and I would highly recommend it.

Cheers
Ash

Penchant 4

There is a weekend workshop at Marc Adams School of Woodworking, 16-17 July. The instructor will be Barry Gross, and the subject is Making a Kitless Pen. More information is available at this link https://www.marcadams.com/product/making-a-kitless-pen-with-barry-gross/

I am not compensated for this 'plug'. I have taken six workshops with Barry at Marc Adams; and recommend him and the school highly.

JamesC

I have been turning for a while and want to move up to witless pens. Is there a comprehensive book on the subject? If no book, what is the best learning resource that follows a logical path? Everything I read online seems to be fragmented and disjointed. TIA. Russ
I'm with you Russ! Started this a few months ago after struggling through the you tube videos and reading everything I could find. Then I went out to the shop and just started trying to make all of the parts. After countless failures I started getting closer to a complete pen. That's when some of the things I had read started to click. Like cheap eBay taps and dies don't work and .025 mm is a lot. All I can say is the guys on this forum are the greatest. Huge help as I continue to struggle.
Good luck ..
Jim

its_virgil

Barry will also be the featured demonstrator for the pen turning room at SWAT. SWAT, the SouthWest Association of Turners' symposium in Waco, TX is held at the end of August. Check out SWAT at swaturners.org
I hope to see and meet some of our IAP members.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

MedWoodWorx

Barry will also be the featured demonstrator for the pen turning room at SWAT. SWAT, the SouthWest Association of Turners' symposium in Waco, TX is held at the end of August. Check out SWAT at swaturners.org
I hope to see and meet some of our IAP members.
i hope that a podcast or something similar to be uploaded for overseas penturners. Besides that i noticed that most kitless/bespoke pens are made on a metal lathe. I suppose it takes a super steady hand to turn true round shapes (?).

Penchant 4

i hope that a podcast or something similar to be uploaded for overseas penturners. Besides that i noticed that most kitless/bespoke pens are made on a metal lathe. I suppose it takes a super steady hand to turn true round shapes (?).
Cannot speak to the podcast. However, many (and I do not know actual numbers, or if research on actual numbers exists) make kitless/bespoke pens on wood lathes; myself among them. A machinist/engine/metal working lathe probably makes it easier as it definitely makes hitting and repeating dimensions easier...assuming it has accurate indexes or DRO.

Would personally love to have one; but it is not fiscally possible under the current economic situation. Someday, maybe...

its_virgil

I hope that a podcast or something similar to be uploaded for overseas penturners. Besides that i noticed that most kitless/bespoke pens are made on a metal lathe. I suppose it takes a super steady hand to turn true round shapes (?).
You Tube is a good source.
These pens were made on my wood lathe...Powermatic 3520B.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
20211227_195555-01.jpeg
20220615_070207-02.jpeg

target64

There is a weekend workshop at Marc Adams School of Woodworking, 16-17 July. The instructor will be Barry Gross, and the subject is Making a Kitless Pen. More information is available at this link https://www.marcadams.com/product/making-a-kitless-pen-with-barry-gross/

I am not compensated for this 'plug'. I have taken six workshops with Barry at Marc Adams; and recommend him and the school highly.
I am attending that class this weekend. Should be interesting.

its_virgil

No podcast but the symposium handbook with demonstrator handouts is available online to download. Barry Gross' demo handout is very detailed. There are two other pen demonstrations also, by Jason Rose and Chad Schimmel.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

MedWoodWorx

No podcast but the symposium handbook with demonstrator handouts is available online to download. Barry Gross' demo handout is very detailed. There are two other pen demonstrations also, by Jason Rose and Chad Schimmel.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
that's a great handbook indicative of a very well organised symposium;bravo to all of you who helped and participated.

Penultimate

As the Pen Turns is a podcast about pen making. It's hosted by 3 pen makers, Brad from Mythic Pens, Jason from jasonneil pen works and Jonathan Brooks from Carolina Pen Co.

Top Bottom