kitless landscape clicker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stuckinohio

stuckinohio

Here's my latest effort. Made a mistake at the top by the clip and turned it down too much, so the clip sticks out. Guess I'll have to get a different clip or live with this one. Very irritated with myself!

The blank is a "landscape" blank by Eugenio Soto, AKA El Mostro/Muttblanks. It's all alumilite. It is not worthless wood. Very interesting blanks to say the least.

I'm curious to see how the blank will hold out since there are no tubes.

Lewis

Attachments

• 20170419_114337.jpg
    20170419_114337.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 20170419_114348.jpg
    20170419_114348.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 20170419_114359.jpg
    20170419_114359.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

Just tilt your head! :)

not a fan of that style of pen, but the work and blank look outstanding!.

Thank you sir. I am still trying to figure out the best design for the nosecone and overall design. The nose cone makes a big difference in the looks, that is for sure!

The blank is very neat. you get the same look as a hybrid blank, but with the advantages of alumilite, which I am a big fan of. Eugenio gets all the credit for that:)

I'm wondering if you have used a pen with one of these clickers and didn't like it, or just don't like the styling of the pen? Reason I ask is because once I used one, I was hooked! They are a really smooth click, and in my opinion, more reliable. They are all metal with no plastic parts to break or jam if dropped.

Lewis

BeeAMaker

I'm wondering if you have used a pen with one of these clickers and didn't like it, or just don't like the styling of the pen? Reason I ask is because once I used one, I was hooked! They are a really smooth click, and in my opinion, more reliable. They are all metal with no plastic parts to break or jam if dropped.

Lewis

I just don't like the styling of the pen, especially the nib. Reminds be of the Revolver pens, not a fan of the fat front end. I agree - the blank is beautiful and I also love working with alumilite.

I really like the smoothness of the Vertex clicker, it's silent. Never used this pen so I imagine that is what you refer to? That way people aren't disrupting meetings with their "click-itty-click-click ..... click click"! lol

Curly

I think the perspective is skewing the perception of the pen's shape. Would you take another picture with the pen the same distance at both ends from the lens?

The vertical/horizontal thing is annoying to say the least. For now take a picture with the camera held horizontally and a second held vertically. Once you attach the pictures preview the post and see which orientation they are in and remove the one that doesn't look right. Then nobody has to tilt their head. :)

stuckinohio

I think the perspective is skewing the perception of the pen's shape. Would you take another picture with the pen the same distance at both ends from the lens?

The vertical/horizontal thing is annoying to say the least. For now take a picture with the camera held horizontally and a second held vertically. Once you attach the pictures preview the post and see which orientation they are in and remove the one that doesn't look right. Then nobody has to tilt their head. :)

I know, it's hard to look at for sure! I'm at work, so I can do it tonight. Weird thing is the picture is correctly orientated, but when I load it to forum it's sideways. Never had that happen?

The Schmidt clicker is very quiet too, and smooth. I am really struggling with nose cone design, unless I lengthen the cone, which takes away from the blank. The one I did from The wife recently had a longer nose cone, and I was able to dish it out some for her to grip, which she loved but created a somewhat strange look to some people. Mostly because the cone was from different material.

Thank you everyone for the comments and constructive criticism. I could use both!

Lewis

eharri446

If you used an iPhone, try taking the picture in landscape mode and also in portrait mode. Then upload both and add then to a post.

Then you can see which one comes out correct.

That is how I figured it out.

robutacion

I haven't seen those new blanks from Eugene before but I'm not surprised with his skill and imagination, for sure.

Did you say, no tube...?:eek:

One of the best attributes of those type of kits is their ability to show well a great blank, such as that one you used, fit and finish looks pretty good to me, congrats...!

Cheers
George

KCW

I'm not sure everyone understands that this is a kitless pen. I will agree that the nose is a bit large for my taste, but overall a nice pen, and the fact that it is kitless, gives it bonus points. Great job!

BeeAMaker

Yes, at first I thought it was a kit that I have seen elsewhere - it has a similar nose.
No tube - I know it is a nice blank but I'm thinking it might not survive a drop. ???

Try a more convex design for the nose. If you are interested, shoot me your required dimensions and I will do a few designs in Fusion 360, just for inspiration.

stuckinohio

I'm not sure everyone understands that this is a kitless pen. I will agree that the nose is a bit large for my taste, but overall a nice pen, and the fact that it is kitless, gives it bonus points. Great job!

That was my suspicion also. I may re-do the nose cone anyways. I will probably make it slightly longer so I can add more shape to it. That way I can fix the top where I turned it too narrow for the clip anyways.

That is what is so awesome about these kitless pens. I can do anything I want:)

Lewis

stuckinohio

Yes, at first I thought it was a kit that I have seen elsewhere - it has a similar nose.
No tube - I know it is a nice blank but I'm thinking it might not survive a drop. ???

Try a more convex design for the nose. If you are interested, shoot me your required dimensions and I will do a few designs in Fusion 360, just for inspiration.

Thank you, I might take you up on that, but not for a while. I like playing around with the design by hand.

As far as the no tube issue. It's an experiment. No kitless pens have tubes, but the worry in this instance is separation of the two halves because of the way it was cast. No way to know but try it:biggrin:

Lewis

BeeAMaker

No kitless pens have tubes,...

I wondered that.
So is an acrylic blank strong enough to stand on it's own? How thin can you go? I have done some 2mm pencils without tubes but they were all wood.

I'm hoping to get a metal lathe soon so I can start doing my own kitless, (and make my own kits!) tones of ideas and no outlet... yet.

Thanks!

stuckinohio

Acrylic is fine for tubeless, and you wont need a metal lathe for kitless, but I use mine for it. For the most part because the centers are perfectly lined up but none of my wood lathes are.

It is very fun and very challenging!

Lewis

No kitless pens have tubes,...

I wondered that.
So is an acrylic blank strong enough to stand on it's own? How thin can you go? I have done some 2mm pencils without tubes but they were all wood.

I'm hoping to get a metal lathe soon so I can start doing my own kitless, (and make my own kits!) tones of ideas and no outlet... yet.

Thanks!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Excuse me please! No kitless pens have tubes?? Check out entry #45 in the IAP Collection. There are tubes in the barrels. The components are made from aluminum to fit the tubes. :wink: Just FYI! :biggrin:

Lewis, you're doing fine , and will tweek your components as you go along your journey. :wink:

Curly

Excuse me please! No kitless pens have tubes?? Check out entry #45 in the IAP Collection. There are tubes in the barrels. The components are made from aluminum to fit the tubes. :wink: Just FYI! :biggrin:

Lewis, you're doing fine , and will tweek your components as you go along your journey. :wink:

I seem to recall you made Marla a nice looking pen like that with one of her feather blanks a number of years back. Right?

stuckinohio

Ok Chuck, you got me :biggrin:

stuckinohio

What's even funnier is that I'm currently in the planning phase of using a circuit board blank in a kitless clicker! So technically I would be using a tube too. So I really have to eat crow.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

I seem to recall you made Marla a nice looking pen like that with one of her feather blanks a number of years back. Right?

Yes, that's right I did. Or....attempted to. :redface: Pete, did Marla get that pen?

keithbyrd

This is really nice - I, like others, would change the nose cone a bit - perhaps straight? What kind of click mechanism are you using?

stuckinohio

I am using the Schmidt clicker.
I definitely don't love the nose cone either. I might straighten it up some and see how that looks. It's funny how such a simple part affects the design!

Lewis

BeeAMaker

I definitely don't love the nose cone either. I might straighten it up some and see how that looks. It's funny how such a simple part affects the design!

Lewis

I had to take a double look, lol
At first I thought you said "Schmitt Trigger" Which is a circuit used a lot to de-bounce a switch input. you had my Electrical engineering side all excited. :tongue:

I have often thought of a circuit and mechanism that would detect when the Pen is picked up, extend the cartridge, and then retract it when the pen is set down. But i have no resources to create such a mechanism.

stuckinohio

Now that would be cool! You better get started on looking for those resources now:)

Lewis

Lewis

I had to take a double look, lol
At first I thought you said "Schmitt Trigger" Which is a circuit used a lot to de-bounce a switch input. you had my Electrical engineering side all excited. :tongue:

I have often thought of a circuit and mechanism that would detect when the Pen is picked up, extend the cartridge, and then retract it when the pen is set down. But i have no resources to create such a mechanism.

Top Bottom