Kitless FP with Tiffany Casein

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Butlerwalt66

Butlerwalt66

First time I threaded the section, rather than the barrel, to accept the cap. Ebonite ends. Cast sterling clip from Silver Pen parts. 15mm cap, 13.5mm barrel.
There's a nice depth to this material, and it turns pretty well. That's a Jowo 1.1 stub on there....sandblasted SS

Attachments

• A3E63CE3-5EAA-40EA-B301-7E796FF3C86D.jpg
    A3E63CE3-5EAA-40EA-B301-7E796FF3C86D.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 358
  • C9D63799-547E-44BD-8AE1-BD41A7CCCE3A.jpg
    C9D63799-547E-44BD-8AE1-BD41A7CCCE3A.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 325
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That is a nice pen !!!

I suppose that threading the section to accept the cap avoids having two sets of threads "on top of each other" in the body, and that would mean that the result is a smaller diameter pen.

Is that the reason for doing it that way ?

You get a longer section and obviously that must be OK.

By the way, what is the material ? . Oh ... you already stated that in the title of this thread ... Tiffany Casein.

Last edited:

Ironwood

First let me say that is a very nice looking pen.
I have never used casein before, but your pen makes me want to try it for myself.

I remember reading somewhere that putting the cap threads on the section let's you run the risk of the section unscrewing from the pen and staying in the cap when trying to uncap the pen. It may not be an issue if you are the one using the pen, but in the hands of a customer........?

darrin1200

That's a beautiful pen Walter. But I to have the same concern as Brad, with regards to the section unscrewing with the cap. I have heard of pens built like this, but they had left hand section threads, to counter the cap.

Great work.

I've been playing with using the same threads to hold in the nib and the cap on. If you thread the body of the pen a bit short so there is a fair bit of friction between the nib and the body and polish the nib to cap threads and make sure the cap tightens when the cap touches the body and not on the ends of the threads it doesn't seem to be a problem. You can also put an extra ring at the bottom of the pen body and "lock" the ring against the body against the pen to keep it from coming off.

Butlerwalt66

I agree with what y'all have said about the dangers of unscrewing the section when you're removing the cap...but I swear up-and-down I have been trying to make that happen, and it hasn't happened yet.
This section is 30mm long, the same length that I make other, "regular" sections. I threaded this section so that I could (theoretically) make the cap a little shorter...But I didn't pare this one down. I had wanted an ebonite section (matching the barrel end) but sorta happy-accidented my way out of my last black ebonite nubbin.
Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

darrin1200

I agree with what y'all have said about the dangers of unscrewing the section when you're removing the cap...but I swear up-and-down I have been trying to make that happen, and it hasn't happened yet.
This section is 30mm long, the same length that I make other, "regular" sections. I threaded this section so that I could (theoretically) make the cap a little shorter...But I didn't pare this one down. I had wanted an ebonite section (matching the barrel end) but sorta happy-accidented my way out of my last black ebonite nubbin.
Thanks for the feedback.

I am glad that its working. It's a good solution for shrinking the body diameter.
Is it a commission pen, or is it for yourself. I would be interested to know how it is after a couple of months of daily use. I am wondering if it would become looser, the more often it was taken apart.

Butlerwalt66

Well, it was going to go up for sale, but I'm thinking that I need to chuck it back into the lathe, and thread the barrel...there's enough room in the cap so it won't bottom out on the nib. I'll either turn a new section, or pare off the threads of the one that's on there now.

magpens

I see that you said ...

" I threaded this section so that I could (theoretically) make the cap a little shorter...But I didn't pare this one down. "
... so it seems that you have, in this case, left enough room in the cap.

But why the change in thinking now ? . Seems to me the original plan was a good one and you said it was working as hoped for.

Just curious.

Butlerwalt66

Well, I wouldn't want to sell it knowing that there is even the potential for a problem. And it'll take me what, an hour to modify it? (famous last words)
I'd honestly like to see a black ebonite section on it...I've got a couple of rods on order.

magpens

Oh, well ..... OK then ..... I can relate to that kind of precautionary thinking !! . LOL . 😀 :)

darrin1200

I did not mean to throw doubt on your work. I wouldn't remake this pen. It is beautiful, and there may not be an issue. You have a good idea here that seems to work, it just needs to be trialed. Make this your own every day carry, to test the concept. If it works out after a couple of months of putting the section in and out, then you'll know.

oldwritingpen

First time I threaded the section, rather than the barrel, to accept the cap. Ebonite ends. Cast sterling clip from Silver Pen parts. 15mm cap, 13.5mm barrel.
There's a nice depth to this material, and it turns pretty well. That's a Jowo 1.1 stub on there....sandblasted SS
Beautiful pen. Love the casein.

Top Bottom