Kitless finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jonathansmith

What are ways to polish/ finish the threads on a kitless pen without wearing off the threads?

Attachments

• 20190914_085449.jpg
    20190914_085449.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 285
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am not very experienced, but have only used Meguiars Plastic Polish and Novus 1. I also have some very fine buffing compounds that I wouldn't hesitate to use (much less aggressive than white diamond). Beautiful job on the pen ! I would love to know the thread sizes used.

magpens

I would put some Mequiar's Plastic Polish on the threads and work the cap on and off about 20 times.

Then clean things up with a toothbrush. . (Oh, I see that Chuck made a similar suggestion while I was writing mine ! )

By the way, welcome to IAP, Jonathan !!! . I believe this is your first post. . That is a lovely looking pen !!
Is it a rollerball ?

Jonathansmith

I am not very experienced, but have only used Meguiars Plastic Polish and Novus 1. I also have some very fine buffing compounds that I wouldn't hesitate to use (much less aggressive than white diamond). Beautiful job on the pen ! I would love to know the thread sizes used.
M13 and m10

Jonathansmith

Plastic polish on a soft bristled tooth brush.
I'll try that. Thnx
I would put some Mequiar's Plastic Polish on the threads and work the cap on and off about 20 times.

Then clean things up with a toothbrush. . (Oh, I see that Chuck made a similar suggestion while I was writing mine ! )

By the way, welcome to IAP, Jonathan !!! . I believe this is your first post. . That is a lovely looking pen !!
Is it a rollerball ?
I love that technique...will definitely give it a go

anthonyd

Shawn Newton has a video and some pictures of a horsehair brush attached to a rotary tool on his Instagram site. He uses some plastic polish on the threads and rotates the pen body on the horsehair brush. He cautions not to use the wheels with plastic bristles. He says he gets the brushes inexpensively on e-bay. You have to go down his page a bit before you see the brush.

Tony

Jonathansmith

Shawn Newton has a video and some pictures of a horsehair brush attached to a rotary tool on his Instagram site. He uses some plastic polish on the threads and rotates the pen body on the horsehair brush. He cautions not to use the wheels with plastic bristles. He says he gets the brushes inexpensively on e-bay. You have to go down his page a bit before you see the brush.

Tony
Interesting...I'll look into this

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'm glad you asked that question, and are pursuing the answer. I see some GREAT pens with professional finishes here, but it is the threads that distract from what would otherwise be pure perfection of a pen.

Let us know what works. And WELCOME!

Top Bottom