kitless Exacto knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RobS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very cool.:wink: Is the hole into the main body big enough so that you can store a spare blade? Also, is the blade collet/clamp enough into the body so that it can handle cutting pressure...esp as the blade gets duller, without it snapping at the threads?

RobS

Very cool.:wink: Is the hole into the main body big enough so that you can store a spare blade? Also, is the blade collet/clamp enough into the body so that it can handle cutting pressure...esp as the blade gets duller, without it snapping at the threads?

The section threads are quite long allowing for full encapsulation of the blade holder threads, the section is also about 12.75mm thick and having used M10X.75 with a M14x.8 body thread, the wall thickness is significant in both the section and the body. All valid points/questions. I did have to bore the finial to an ID of ~7.5mm so that there was room for the blade, unlike a nib which comes to a point in the center, the blade is offset to one side.

I dropped the ball on boring the inside to fit spare blades. My engineer asked me if he could store blades on the inside straight away. I need to bore it out a little more to accomodate, but since I used the M10 section there is room.

Originally I was going to make a fountain pen, but the exacto knife project had been on the back burner for 2 years, I just could not wait any longer and winged it.

I plan on making one for each team member, there are 4 full time total, so each one should get better.

It took me 4.5 hours to make the first one, I might be able to get that down to 4 or 3.5 hrs. Not sure how much people would be willing to spend, but one of the other Engineers did throw a jealous $#it fit when they saw it, so I think it is a winner. $20 in parts = $10 blank + $5 clip + $5 exacto

PatrickR

Very nice! They will love it. Another one to add to my list. A tool that I use regularly.
I have an old exacto "pen" that is a similar idea.

RobS

I was inspired, when the cap on a stock knife popped off in my pocket and almost stabbed me, I was supper lucky, ever since I wanted an exacto with a screw on cap.

keithlong

Very nice idea and neat way to carry exacto knife. I used them every day when I was working for the school system. I was an offset press operator and I used one to cut film all the time.

Top Bottom