Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Entry #7

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Entry #8

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ed McDonnell

Please don't post to this thread until I have all 8 entries posted. The entries will appear as fast as I can create the posts. Be patient.

You may vote for as few or as many of the entries as you want. Voting will be open for 3 days.

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Entry 1 of 8

Entry #1

Artist Statement

Basketball pen, Safety , Self defense
the whistle is to alert if you are in trouble, the pen can be used as a weapon if needed
it is 7'' long for this purpose

following materials were used
1-30 caliber carbine brass case
1- 357 mag. brass case
2- 300 win mag brass case
1- 6.5x55 brass case
1- brass basketball [charm bracelet]
1/2'' 1/4'' copper tubing
I made a whistle using the 6.5x55 [.284] brass case, using a file to cut the case,and a torch to solider pieces together
the swede case is tapered. which it allows it to friction hold itself inside the 300 mag case

The body of the pen, started out by drilling out the back of a 300 brass case.
then annealed the brass and swedged the brass case to accept the swede case
drilled out the other 300 case to accept the neck of the swedged case. soldered both

I drilled out the back of the 357 and cut in half
soldered it to the neck of the 300 mag. this piece gives your fingers a comfortable grip.

inside of the 357 case, I fit a 30 cal carbine case to use as a fib,
drilled out primer hole to the size of the ink cartridge

pocket clip, is made from a piece of 18 gauge wire,shaped on my anvil
soldered to the brass case

this build was done with a hand drill, file, regular hand tools.
ALL parts are hand made and crafted by me alone
only store purchased item is the ink cartridge. the rest come from my work bench
the basketball is from a old charm bracelet

it was a fun little build, I enjoyed making a pen from scrap brass

Pictures (Click / hover on the thumbnails to see larger pictures):

Attachments

• BASKETBALL pen 023.JPG
    BASKETBALL pen 023.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 429
  • BASKETBALL pen 025.JPG
    BASKETBALL pen 025.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 412
  • BASKETBALL pen 020.JPG
    BASKETBALL pen 020.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 405

Ed McDonnell

Entry 2 of 8

Entry #2

Artist Statement

Here is my kitless submission.
Some numbers about my pen making process
4- it took me about 4 months to design and make the fountain pen. Good timing for summer contest.
3- This is my third kitless pen
2- My second fountain pen
1.74- The ratio of the overall pen length to the capped black body length. My design intent was the golden ratio 1.68.
1- My first hidden clip ring.

The blanks are Woodcraft acrylic blanks with a #5 Bock fine nib.I turned, drilled, threaded and finished all the pieces on my metal lathe. I used my mini-mill to to make the notch for the clip in the cap. To make the undercut for the clip ring I chucked a 10.5mm end mill in my tailstock and bored the end of the cap .030" deep. Using that method and mill made a perfect fit for the clip ring. I made the section tapered to a size I find very comfortable when writing.

Overall length=5.65 inches
Pen lenght (uncapped)=5.2"
Pen body diameter= 0.5"
Section diameters from 0.44 tapers to 0.36
Weight 17g capped, 12g uncapped with a balance point at the center of the body

This is my new daily carry.

Attachments

• P8070709.jpeg
    P8070709.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 412
  • P8070719.jpeg
    P8070719.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 396
  • P8070727.jpeg
    P8070727.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 419

Ed McDonnell

Entry 3 0f 8

Entry #3

Artist Statement

Featherwieght

Redwood lace burl/quilted maple

Pilot G2 ink cartrige

capped length 5.22"

cap 2.38" x .55"

body 3" x .46"

section 2.5" x .38"

weight 10 grams

The redwoods lack of density allowed me to keep the weight low.With a wall thickness of 1mm on the cap and body I think it is the lightest capped rollerball around.The brittleness of the redwood. cut so thin makes this a very delicate pen.The quilted maple used for the section and stopper provides for a nice contrast to the red tones of the cap and body.It also adds rigidity to the nib of the rollerball for some durability.

Attachments

• DSCF3374.jpg
    DSCF3374.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 426
  • DSCF3375.jpg
    DSCF3375.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCF3376.jpg
    DSCF3376.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 358

Ed McDonnell

Entry 4 of 8

Entry #4

Artist Statement

The pen's body and lid were machined from solid aluminium bar in the design of a scaled down custom lightsaber.
For the grips, I airbrushed multiple layers of Acrylic Enamel giving the rustic brown colour. The black markings were airbrushed on to simulate a used look. The lightsaber controls which protrude from the body and lid, double as an anti roll device.

In the tip of the lid, I machined a battery compartment with brass terminals to take two LR44 batteries. This provides 3V 150mA, or around 6 hours of continuous usage. The light effect, is made from a solid piece of acrylic which has been sanded to a translucent appearance, which has an ultra bright blue led mounted in the end, with the legs protruding acting as the connection terminals. When the acrylic is push fitted into the end, the contact is made, and the piece illuminates.

Attachments

• closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 489
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 452
  • light.jpg
    light.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 469

Ed McDonnell

Entry 5 of 8

Entry #5

Artist Statement

This oversized fountain pen takes queues from the classic Duofold with a flat top cap and a slight taper on the body finial. The main body was crafted from Alumilite and black ebonite was used for the front grip section and both finials. Dual brass accent bands were added to the cap while selecting a chrome clip with an art deco feel ties together the two tone color pallet of the gold and chrome nib and the copper color mixed into the body.

Attachments

• entry-1.jpg
    entry-1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 390
  • entry-3.jpg
    entry-3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 384
  • entry-2.jpg
    entry-2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 406

Ed McDonnell

Entry 6 of 8

Entry #6

Artist Statement

This is my entry into the 2015 kit less contest. It is an Alumilite case with blue, black, gold and green pearl-ex pigments. The roll stop is a sterling silver post earring. The nib is a two tone 6 mm bock with a Schmidt K5 converter. This pen was made for a friend who is an avid diver that I met in Jamaica. Jamaican flag colors are green yellow and black.

Attachments

• P_01.jpg
    P_01.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 412
  • P_02.jpg
    P_02.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 374
  • P_03.jpg
    P_03.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 329

Ed McDonnell

Entry 7 of 8

Entry #7

Artist Statement

A Roller Ball pen built on a 3/8 tube for the lower body and a Sierra
10.5mm tube for the top.
The cap is .488 in diameter and the body is only .426 in diameter.
(12.32mm and 10.78mm )
Ceboplast dark blue blank for the body and cap and there are small
pieces turned and inserted in both finials.

Attachments

• sepen 1.NEF.jpg
    sepen 1.NEF.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 408
  • sepen 5.NEF.jpg
    sepen 5.NEF.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 329
  • sepen 6.NEF.jpg
    sepen 6.NEF.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 365

Ed McDonnell

Entry 8 of 8

Entry #8

Artist Statement

This is the first kitless pen I have made. I used a click mechanism (minus the button), inkfill, and spring gutted from a "freebie" pen (BDGKit1). Photo BDGKit2 shows the parts I made to fashion a completed pen. The nose cone was turned from a scrap of a red white and blue blank that I had cast. The nose cone fit into a coupler that I turned from a second scrap of solar gold PR that I had cast. The main barrel is made from Bethlehem olivewood (I needed all the help I could get) without an internal tube. The brown "click mechanism housing" was supposed to be solar gold, but I messed up and had to use a different scrap. I turned the click pusher from a scrap similar to the piece I used for the nose cone. The nose coupler is glued into the olivewood barrel, and the click mechanism is epoxied into the click mechanism housing. The click mechanism housing was the most difficult piece to manufacture, because it involved three different holes and I had to leave enough of the click mechanism to expoy into the upper end of the main barrel. Photo BDGKit3 shows the completed pen. And it works!

Attachments

• BDGKit1.jpg
    BDGKit1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 327
  • BDGKit2.jpg
    BDGKit2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 399
  • BDGKit3.jpg
    BDGKit3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 532

Ed McDonnell

All entries are now posted. This thread is now open for voting and posting. Congratulations to all who dared to enter. They are all winners in my book.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Every entry has gotten multiple votes. Each time I check, a few seem to be pulling away, but the ones that make up "the few pulling away" seems to change each time I check. What a horse race!!!

Get you votes in now.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Two entries seem to currently be member favorites, but with only 49 members voting that could change in a heartbeat. Only 49 votes with 421 views??? :eek: I can only hope that people are having a hard time deciding which entry to vote for. Remember, you can vote for more than one.

Every one of the entries represents a lot of creativiting and hard work. Vote for one, vote for some or vote for all. But please vote.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Hey Derek - Did you notice that the kitless contest is 40% more popular than those slimline contests that whatshisname is running (based on # of people voting)? I'll bet every time you post here I pick up another couple voters. WooHoo!!! I can't blame you for wanting to post here. It is the cool place to be.:biggrin:

Ed

bobleibo

Hey Derek - Did you notice that the kitless contest is 40% more popular than those slimline contests that whatshisname is running (based on # of people voting)? I'll bet every time you post here I pick up another couple voters. WooHoo!!! I can't blame you for wanting to post here. It is the cool place to be.:biggrin:

Ed

That's just how I am. I'm always helping out those in need!:biggrin:

Derek, Ed might have a point here......HOWEVER, did either of you happen to notice how many people ENTERED the http://www.penturners.org/forum/f299/ball-point-pen-contest-voting-134552/ hmmmm, wonder why that is....maybe take a quick peek just for fun, and while you are there, you should VOTE VOTE VOTE

Either way, at least me posting here will help bring this thread back to the front page....anything to help yooz' out.

Good luck to everyone !
Cheers from that "other contest"
Bob

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Hi Bob - I am really impressed with the number of entries you got for your contest. And all without any underhanded sneaky poaching. Great job!!!

In terms of absolute voting you are way ahead of Derek's contests, which makes sense to me. Of course, on a vote per entry basis the Kitless Contest still rules. No surprise there. :biggrin:

Ed

bobleibo

Hi Bob - I am really impressed with the number of entries you got for your contest. And all without any underhanded sneaky poaching. Great job!!!

In terms of absolute voting you are way ahead of Derek's contests, which makes sense to me. Of course, on a vote per entry basis the Kitless Contest still rules. No surprise there. :biggrin:

Ed

Define "underhanded sneaky poaching".....I may be in trouble here

I'll hand it to you, Bob, that custom licence plate really worked!

You can thank John (liljohn1368) for the artwork on that one...

WOW, I almost forgot to point everyone to where the fun is....I must be getting S L O W http://www.penturners.org/forum/f299/ball-point-pen-contest-voting-134552/

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Alright!! We've reached the 100 votes mark. That's great. But I know there are a lot more of you out there who haven't voted yet. I understand it is hard to choose when you have so many great choices to vote for, but it isn't going to get any easier. There are less than 24 hours left to vote. Just do it. Vote! Vote now!!!!

Don't let your fellow IAP members, who put so much time and effort into creating their fantastic entries, think you don't care.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

It's been 10 years since Hurricane Wilma ripped up my house. With each passing year the odds are stacked more and more against me. With my house in the middle of the Erika bullseye, I guess I better test all the hurricane shutters today, just in cast it doesn't fall apart or head somewhere else. If I don't ever post again it's probably because I fell out a second story window trying to get the shutters closed. Either that or the hitman that Derek hired managed to get by my security detail.....

Ed

D.Oliver

It's been 10 years since Hurricane Wilma ripped up my house. With each passing year the odds are stacked more and more against me. With my house in the middle of the Erika bullseye, I guess I better test all the hurricane shutters today, just in cast it doesn't fall apart or head somewhere else. If I don't ever post again it's probably because I fell out a second story window trying to get the shutters closed. Either that or the hitman that Derek hired managed to get by my security detail.....

Ed

Ed, you had better send all your nice pens farther inland to insure their safty. South Dakota is pretty far inland and I'll take real good care of them. Your welcome.:biggrin:

Ed McDonnell

Shutters were in great shape. I didn't fall out a window. Everything is good to go. So, hopefully Dereka will fizzle out....

Ed

Last edited:
Top Bottom