Kitless Contest - Round 1 Runners up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Here are the fabulous artists who, unfortunately and through no fault of their own, did not move on the the finals.
As the great Conner MacLeod once said, There can be only one.

I am listing them here by their standing position 7 through 13, as the top six are in the finals.
I have not included vote counts, as I really don't think that matters.

Well done to all.

7th Place
Carl Pepka...................username- carl pepka
1582297482989.png

8th Place
Jon Tello.....................username- jontello
1582297519471.png

9th Place
Mike Allen...................username- mikeinsc
1582297676996.png

Tied for 10th Place
Mal Phillips.................username- magpens
1582297704193.png

Russel George................username- 1shootist
1582297729642.png

12th Place
Mike Weiby...................username- penultimate
1582297753263.png

13th Place
Russel George................username- 1shootist
1582297772530.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thank you, Darrin !!! . You have been an excellent convenor for this contest !!!

Congratulations to all entrants (including myself :)) for some novel and exciting work and presentation !!

Just wondering .... do the contest entries, photos, etc., remain permanently accessible in the archives ?

Last edited:

darrin1200

Thank you, Darrin !!! . You have been an excellent convenor for this contest !!!

Congratulations to all entrants (including myself :)) for some novel and exciting work and presentation !!

Just wondering .... do the contest entries, photos, etc., remain permanently accessible in the archives ?

i believe they are available in the bash archives

1shootist

I really liked your pen Mal, I ordered a click mechanism to see if I can make one work. I've got it now but havent started on it yet.

magpens

I really liked your pen Mal, I ordered a click mechanism to see if I can make one work. I've got it now but havent started on it yet.
That sounds great !! . Let me know if you have any probs ... I might be able to help. . Did you buy a SKM-192 mech ? ... what I used and showed. . But you need to make a little doughnut collar (shown in one of my pics). . That collar threads on to the sliding part of the mech and to thread the collar you need a M4.2 x 0.35 mm tap. . I bought one of those also. . The collar helps to locate and anchor the mech.
I think you can install the mech. in other ways, tho'. . Those Schmidt click mechs are the "cat's pyjamas" ... really like them. .
Where did you buy the mech. ? Greenwald ? ... or Milan ? ... the only 2 US sources that I know of.

1shootist

That sounds great !! . Let me know if you have any probs ... I might be able to help. . Did you buy a SKM-192 mech ? ... what I used and showed. . But you need to make a little doughnut collar (shown in one of my pics). . That collar threads on to the sliding part of the mech and to thread the collar you need a M4.2 x 0.35 mm tap. . I bought one of those also. . The collar helps to locate and anchor the mech.
I think you can install the mech. in other ways, tho'. . Those Schmidt click mechs are the "cat's pyjamas" ... really like them. .
Where did you buy the mech. ? Greenwald ? ... or Milan ? ... the only 2 US sources that I know of.
Apology for the delay, its a SKM 88. I bought it from karas kustoms.
Its going to definitely be a learning experience, this is the first time trying this.

magpens

@1shootist

In my contest pen, I used the SKM-192.

Your SKM-88 is a rather different kettle of fish .... but an excellent mechanism based on same principles .... just different and larger format.

darrin1200

@1shootist

In my contest pen, I used the SKM-192.

Your SKM-88 is a rather different kettle of fish .... but an excellent mechanism based on same principles .... just different and larger format.

I just ordered a few skm-88 from Richard Greenwald. I have heard nothing but good things about these mechs. I am also interested in finding a smaller mech for thinner pens. What are your thoughts on the SKM-192, how it feels, how it functions, ease of incorporation?

magpens

@darrin1200 @1shootist

Regarding the Schmidt SKM-88 click mechanism and the Schmidt SKM-192 click mechanism : ....

Both mechanisms seem to operate on the same principle, which is not fully clear even by close inspection . . Both are very smooth and quiet in operation. . I would classify them as reliable, although there are occasions of minor malfunction, especially for the SKM-192.
Both mechanisms are superior in feel and function to any other mechanisms supplied in pen kits that I have made. . I have no hesitation in highly recommending both mechanisms. . By contrast, there are some kit pen click mechanisms that I don't recommend.

The SKM-88 is the larger. . It is too big for slimlines, as far as I have been able to assess, but can, in principle, be adapted to most other kit styles that I have considered and probably to all kitless designs that you would dream up. It has an integrated button which is plated to finished quality and which is not removable (as far as I know). . Several metallic button finishes are sold including chrome, gold, gun metal, and black chrome. . The same-finish sleeve surrounding the pushbutton has a threaded mount which is easy to use. . The required tap is M7.0 x 0.75 mm.

The SKM-192 is considerably smaller and will fit slimline designs and larger. . This mech does not have a finished button but just a ribbed stub to which you can push on or glue on a button of your making with appropriate hole size (about 1/8"). . This mech is difficult to mount. . It has a sliding brass sleeve which has threads (tap required = M4.2 x 0.35 mm; tap drill is #30 I think - needs checking and size is critical. . Greenwald sells this tap.). . I have successfully mounted by making a small brass doughnut of 5/16" O.D. with threaded center hole (see my contest entry pics). . The 5/16" O.D. of the doughnut was friction fitted to an appropriate surrounding hole in the blank. . Other mounting methods may be possible with some ingenuity. . The maximum O.D. of this mechanism's component parts is 0.191", so it can fit inside a slimline brass tube, if desired, or into a kitless design. . For comparison, the Parker refill O.D. is close to 0.228" and the slimline "7 mm" brass tube I.D. is close to 0.245". . Securely mounting this click mechanism inside the body of a pen is somewhat of a challenge due to a number of factors including the unusual thread size, and also due to the thread placement on the "wrong" end of the sliding brass sleeve (my assessment !!). . If your choice is to use the threads for mounting directly into the pen's body material, then you have to thread in the mechanism from the inside of the pen body and removal is equally difficult. . Greenwald recommended the "doughnut method" to me, with internal friction fit to the pen's body material.

I hope this info helps. . Feel free to ask for further clarification, and checking of any approximate sizes that I have stated above.

Last edited:

darrin1200

@darrin1200 @1shootist

The SKM-88 is the larger. . It is too big for slimlines, as far as I have been able to assess, but can, in principle, be adapted to most other kit styles that I have considered and probably to all kitless designs that you would dream up. It has an integrated button which is plated to finished quality and which is not removable (as far as I know). . Several metallic button finishes are sold including chrome, gold, gun metal, and black chrome. . The same-finish sleeve surrounding the pushbutton has a threaded mount which is easy to use. . The required tap is M6.5 x 0.5 mm, I think. Can check for you, if you wish.

Thanks Mal. Great description and very helpful.
One correction. The thread for the SKM-88 is 7.0x0.75. I just ordered a set from KBC Tools in Canada

magpens

@darrin1200

Thank you for the correction, Darrin. . I have checked the hardware and have edited my post accordingly.

Tell me, please .... does the KBC set actually include all 3 taps ... taper, plug, and bottom ... at the price of $7.67 for all three ?

If so, I should get a set also ... at present I have only the plug tap.

Last edited:

darrin1200

@darrin1200

Thank you for the correction, Darrin. . I have checked the hardware and have edited my post accordingly.

Tell me, please .... does the KBC set actually include all 3 taps ... taper, plug, and bottom ... at the price of $7.67 for all three ?

If so, I should get a set also ... at present I have only the plug tap.
No. It's not sold as a set. I bought the plug, bottoming and the die separately. The die was the expensive one at $20

magpens

@darrin1200

Maybe I misread the KBC website article.

I already have the die and the plug tap, so would need only the bottom tap (might use it !). . But I'll just make do with what I have, I guess.

Top Bottom