Here they are:

Attachments

• Winners.jpg
    Winners.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 520
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Prizes

The awarding of prizes is somewhat complicated. I'll try to explain it as best I can.

The first place winner (Brad Gothard (BradG)) is thrilled to have won and considers the recognition of his peers as sufficient reward. He has chosen to decline his $50 gift certificate from Classic Nib and asked that it be made available for the benefit of other competitors.

The second place winner (Carl Fisher) will get to decide whether he wants to keep the official second place prize of a $50 gift certificate from Exotic Blanks or if they want to instead accept the $50 gift certificate from Classic Nib.

The third place winner (Evan Bahr) will get to decide whether they want to keep the official third place prize of a Box of Brooks Blanks or instead accept whichever gift certificate was not chosen by the second place winner.

We might have expected that the prize not chosen by the third place winner would be offered to the fourth place finisher (Mike Redburn). But it is not to be. Mike considers having found the time to complete a pen for the competition to have been sufficient reward. He has asked that his prize be made available for the benefit of other competitors.

That brings us to the fifth place finisher (Dale Lynch (Spanx)). He gets the final official prize (whatever that turns out to be).

That leaves three competitors who qualify for the random drawing of a Ceboplast slab from Elkhorn. Spinning the wheel of fortune right now………… and the winner of the random drawing is Brian Garthwaite (Brian G).

I will contact prize winners regarding prize selection. Keep watching your Private Messages.

Ed

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Congratulations To the winning entries. Great pens. Brad its good to see you back.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Oh and Thank You Ed for doing a great job both with the contest and keeping us entertained.

Brian G

That explanation was more complicated than the battle of wits!

BattleOfWits.jpg

Yay, I won the random drawing prize! My entry was the hideous looking clicker. One important lesson I learned was to make sure you have more than enough material to replace part failures. The colors were not the original plan.

Thank you Elkhorn for the donation and thank you Ed for chairing the contest.

bobleibo

Congratulations to everyone who entered the contest and especially to the winners. Each of you showed the amazing talent that lives right here at the I.A.P.
Cheers
Bob

BradG

Thanks everyone for voting :) and of course the guys behind the contests themselves!

I was wondering who was behind the 2nd place masterpiece. Nicely done Karl :wink:

jttheclockman

Nicely done BradG. That is taking it a step beyond. We need to see more thinking like this here. It would take the site to new heights. It is something that we all can strive for without much effort. Nice gesture too with the prize. Hope to see more and hope you don't wait for the next contest. Each pen should be its own contest.

Congrads to all others too.

Carl Fisher

Thanks everyone.

All of the pens submitted were outstanding. Brad has a definite signature to his pens and I think we all knew who was the maker on that one :biggrin:

Also a big thanks to Ed for his efforts keeping this contest on track despite the best efforts of some sneaky individuals who were seeking to steal our hard bought votes for their own contests :rolleyes: You know who you are.

BradG

Nicely done BradG. That is taking it a step beyond. We need to see more thinking like this here. It would take the site to new heights. It is something that we all can strive for without much effort. Nice gesture too with the prize. Hope to see more and hope you don't wait for the next contest. Each pen should be its own contest.

Perhaps someone can come up with a suitable name for these kind of pens. plenty of members have come up with some master pieces

I really don't want to say Novelty pens :frown: they're much more than that with the extra time what goes into them. Maybe themed Pens. Perhaps even a second "show off your pens category" just for this type of 'themed' pen may work. I have heard of people in the past mentioning they would like an advanced show off your pens category, maybe something like this would be a good way of doing it, with the guidelines that pens posted in that category take a little longer than an afternoon to make, to try and refine the category to pens people have spent alot of time and effort on etc.

here's just a few I can think of which would sit well in this category. Mark James posted links to some recently of Artillery guns.

Skiprat
266.jpg

Green Eyed Black Cat
267.jpg

Skiprat
274.jpg

Skiprat
287.jpg

BSea,Katsin,Walshjp
110460d1392948902-zcollaborative-creative-challenge-winner-won-smitty-ccc8.jpg

Brad G
attachment.php

I know there will be plenty more! apologies for not linking to them

Attachments

• spark.JPG
    spark.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 447

Carl Fisher

I actually hadn't seen a few of those before. Love the lance.

I wouldn't call them novelty pens as there is nothing novel about them. Specialty themed pens maybe? Innovative Designs? Creative Concepts?

In addition to the pens above, I can think of a dozen more I've seen that would fit a category like that. Examples like the true steampunk pens from Wolf, some of the pens from the Gisi crew, etc...

jttheclockman

Well Brad I won't beat a dead horse again because he has been dead and buried and I am sure many here are just sick and tired of me bringing this topic up. But to me those are what I call "WOW" pens and had this discussion before. I wanted a Hall of Fame forum set up for pens such as those. To me they would be archieved for all to see now and in the future. Without it you have to do a search that probably no one finds. I always liked seeing the Random photos show up on the front page and some times a rare pen shows.

I realize there are few talented pen makers here that would constantly have a pen or two to add but that is just what it takes to push those that want to create. Everyone has the talent locked inside them and it just a matter of unlocking it. Looking at eye candy such as those just should inspire us to attempt things like that. No you do not need a metal lathe or a cnc machine.

I always felt that each of us should always have a special pen on the work table that we dabble with throughout the year that is special and above the norm of what we do. It gets worked on from time to time as a fill-in. Not hard to do.

Anyway thanks for the memories.:)

Ed McDonnell

My contest philosophy is to reveal the prize winners and allow the other contestants to decide for themselves if they want to reveal their identity and discuss their entry. If they choose to remain anonymous, for whatever reason, I feel we need to respect that.

Given the complicated prize situation this time, I actually ended up revealing the top 5 (to get my three prize acceptors). Therefore, I can now reveal that Mike Redburn submitted #7 and Dale Lynch (Spanx) submitted entry #3.

Ed

Dale Lynch

Perhaps someone can come up with a suitable name for these kind of pens. plenty of members have come up with some master pieces

I really don't want to say Novelty pens :frown: they're much more than that with the extra time what goes into them. Maybe themed Pens. Perhaps even a second "show off your pens category" just for this type of 'themed' pen may work. I have heard of people in the past mentioning they would like an advanced show off your pens category, maybe something like this would be a good way of doing it, with the guidelines that pens posted in that category take a little longer than an afternoon to make, to try and refine the category to pens people have spent alot of time and effort on etc.

here's just a few I can think of which would sit well in this category. Mark James posted links to some recently of Artillery guns.

Skiprat
266.jpg

Green Eyed Black Cat
267.jpg

Skiprat
274.jpg

Skiprat
287.jpg

BSea,Katsin,Walshjp
110460d1392948902-zcollaborative-creative-challenge-winner-won-smitty-ccc8.jpg

Brad G
attachment.php

I know there will be plenty more! apologies for not linking to them

Why not call them freestyle.Those are what you'd expect in the freestyle contest during the bash.

Dale Lynch

I thought maybe that one too. Who made #3, the redwood one?

That was me.It was the one I talked about blowing up all the front sections and caps.Three tries on the cap,two tries on the section.Unstabilized redwood lace was not the most user friendly material.

stonepecker

Now that the contest is over............How about showing the results?
It is just another way to see what is liked the most by the membership.

I'll say again........they are all winners.

Ed McDonnell

Now that the contest is over............How about showing the results?
It is just another way to see what is liked the most by the membership.

I'll say again........they are all winners.

I purposely set the poll results not to display. If the entrants want to know where they finished I am happy to share it with them. If they want the world to know they can share it with the world. If they don't want the world to know where they finished than I believe we should respect that. Privacy trumps curiosity as far as I'm concerned.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

its should be available on the polling thread the poll should be visible.

Mike - I purposely set it not to display. Did you get my PM earlier today regarding prize delivery?

Ed

That was the one about the prize delivery to Derek for being the best looking contest chairmen right?

Well....it did include a suggestion about a delivery to you...I'm just not sure whether the word "prize" is an appropriate choice..... :biggrin:

Ed

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Here's my thoughts....

1. WGAS what the actual vote numbers were? All those that entered are winners just for having the cahonies for entering. If for instance it be known that Brad's uber cool pen won by a massive amount then perhaps that may stop future entries.:wink:

2. Whilst I applaud the reluctance to accept the prizes, I think the contestants should accept them with grace. Maybe pass them on later, but accept them with thanks. The issue here is that it may make the next contestant feel obliged to do the same. And if people keep refusing the prizes, then the vendors/donors will stop giving them. :wink:

3. I wish we did contest like we did in the 'good old days' ....we posted pics of our entries and mercilessly took the micky out of each other until the contest finished. There was no 'send your entries to..' form.
Granted, the early finishers got the most views, but hey....everyone knew the contest was going to happen, months in advance...
With respect to the organisers of these summer contests, it's been a long wait just for a day or two of voting.

Oh, I know the rule....Put Up, or Shut Up. I am in no position to criticise the hosts, and I'm not doing so now. I commend and appreciate their efforts.
They are doing what the masses have demanded. My point is....the 'masses' don't participate. Just always a handful of the regulars.

Off my soapbox now....:wink::biggrin:

Carl Fisher

Here's my thoughts....

1. WGAS what the actual vote numbers were? All those that entered are winners just for having the cahonies for entering. If for instance it be known that Brad's uber cool pen won by a massive amount then perhaps that may stop future entries.:wink:

I tend to agree with this personally.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

3. I wish we did contest like we did in the 'good old days' ....we posted pics of our entries and mercilessly took the micky out of each other until the contest finished. There was no 'send your entries to..' form.
Granted, the early finishers got the most views, but hey....everyone knew the contest was going to happen, months in advance...
With respect to the organisers of these summer contests, it's been a long wait just for a day or two of voting.

If there were a contest as you describe in the upcoming bash, would you enter? I would if there were no limitations on what could be entered. It wouldn't mean all bash contests would have to be run that way, but maybe one no holds barred micky taking :confused: contest would be enough to satisfy everyone....:biggrin:

Ed

Top Bottom