Kitless/closed end BP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wwneko

wwneko

Hey guys here is my Corian and paper clip "clip" ballpoint. First time doing anything like this myself. I've never used my collet chuck, done closed end or bent my own clip. In the second picture you can see the line where the two tubes meet but in person it's not easy to see. I thought about adding a centerband but wanted to keep it clean and simple.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wwneko

Thanks! I started with 3/4" thick corian but the finished pen is 7/16" The clip is CA'd in two small holes (I drilled them oversized as I didn't have a small enough drill bit). There are brass tubes on both upper and lower to hold the transmission in place. The brass tubes aren't full length though, just enough to hold the transmission.

OZturner

Outstanding Concept and Exercution, James.
As if Kitless and Closed Ended wasn't enough, the Creativity of your "Paper Clip" Clip is Brilliant.
Great Profile, Fit and Finish, though personally, and for my taste, I would have liked to Nib to be tapered a little more.
You should be Justly Proud, Superb Work.
Brian.

wwneko

Thanks for the nice words.

I don't think I came up with the clip on my own. I think I saw something similar somewhere, maybe BSea made one similar?

I agree with you Brian on the Nib, I made it blunt to avoid chipping/cracking/breaking when dropped. I think I could have got away with tapering it quite a bit more without too much added risk. I think I overestimated how "fragile" the corian would be, it's pretty resilient material.

BSea

Hey James, that's a pretty cool pen. But you didn't see the clip idea from me. But I'm pretty sure it's in the library. I don't recall seeing one of those at any of our local IAP meetings either. But I wouldn't bet money that someone locally hasn't done one.

Top Bottom