Kitless Clip Fitting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

I am looking for some advice on fitting my clips into my pens. I am using Beaufort clips. I finally believe I have the proper size clips for my pen, size J. i/d=10mm o/d=12mm. I know many people notch out the pen so that the clip ring fits inside a notch. I am hoping for some advice on how to do it. I plan on notching where the clip comes out with a Dremel tool or small file. I am trying to get some strategies for cutting some sort of recess for the ring itself so that I don't have a gap under the trim ring. Do I lightly touch the cap edge with a 12mm bit to create a notch for the ring? My diameter is just shy of 14mm at the opening. Thank you for any advice.

Disregard the trim ring. I use this one just for test-fitting purposes. Sorry about the quickly taken blurry shots.

1666533155215.png

1666533192397.png

1666533278836.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

I do the same a Patrick. I try to find a clip that has a size close to an end mill. Endmills make nice flat holes, don't wander, and cut without grabbing.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Here's an article in the library. There may be others there as well.

duncsuss

I repurposed an old worn-out file (technique learned from Ernie Conover's book, "The Frugal Woodturner").

Step 1 is temper it so it's no longer brittle, step 2 is grind the pointed tang into a small scraper. It lets me cut a flat-bottomed rabbet around the hole the finial will screw into of any diameter I wish.

hooked

Thanks all! I ended up drilling out the recess in the cap. I like the end mill idea and will likely go that route, but didn't have one on hand in the right size. I trimmed a small file down to the size of my clip and used that to make the notch. I see from my pic that it needs a little more fine tuning before buffing.

1666655070599.png

1666655125280.png

Top Bottom