Kitless Carbon Fiber and Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

Just a rough prototype of an idea that I've been kicking around a while. I made this with carbon fiber tubing. 12mm x 11mm for the body and 14mm x 13mm for the cap. The cap to body thread is 11mm x 0.8 triple thread. With the section using a 9mm x 0.75. The clip is titanium and the ends are turned aluminum.

The factory finish on the carbon fiber is a little rough. I think I'll try a CA top coat and a polished finish for the next one. I may also try to build a carbon fiber front section. I'm also looking for a better option for the clip. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    380.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    495.7 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 314
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice idea, Danny, and nice execution !!

When you state "I made this with carbon fiber tubing. 12mm x 11mm for the body ", are the numbers the OD and ID of the tubing ??

More4dan

Very nice idea, Danny, and nice execution !!

When you state "I made this with carbon fiber tubing. 12mm x 11mm for the body ", are the numbers the OD and ID of the tubing ??

Correct, OD and ID. My goal was to get it as small and light as I could. 11mm ID was just large enough to work with a front section with a 9mm thread.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Fred Bruche

Just a bit more finishing touches and you got yourself a winner! Love the details on the cap finial, and I'm assuming you did the same for the body finial?

More4dan

Just a bit more finishing touches and you got yourself a winner! Love the details on the cap finial, and I'm assuming you did the same for the body finial?

The body and the cap finials have the same design. All the components are as machined. I haven't sanded and polished the aluminum. I'm thinking of making the next one with titanium fittings and color anodizing. I just got a variable voltage bench top power supply for anodizing titanium parts for my pocket knives.

Thanks for the comments.

Danny

Attachments

• IMG_1846.JPG
    IMG_1846.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 176

RangeRat

Definitely digging this one, Dan! Looks great! Is there a full aluminum base under the carbon fiber sleeve or threaded aluminum plugs into a resin blank or....? I'm trying to envision the process for potential imitation purposes.😁

More4dan

The finials are glued in and are about 1/2" long. Same with the threaded ends. For the cap finial and clip had me scratching my head for a while. I made a sleeve that fit inside the cap for the ring of the clip to rest against. The finial then goes into the sleeve. I assembled these 3 pieces first then inserted into the cap. I used a small file to make the notch for the clip.

The carbon fiber parts are made from tubes in stead of blanks and they have only a 1/2 mm thick walls. I was surprised how strong they are as thin as they are.

Last edited:

Brotherdale

Very nice Danny! I am a big fan of the CF/AL combination. What did you use for the clip? Blue anodized Ti would make an awesome clip.
On the aircraft that I work on every day the structure I look at is Aluminum, Carbon fiber and Blue anodized Ti.

More4dan

Very nice Danny! I am a big fan of the CF/AL combination. What did you use for the clip? Blue anodized Ti would make an awesome clip.
On the aircraft that I work on every day the structure I look at is Aluminum, Carbon fiber and Blue anodized Ti.

Thank you sir.

The clip is titanium, blue would have been just the ticket. I've ordered some titanium rod for making the hardware for the next one.

Top Bottom