Kitless #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

Getting a little closer to a good product. There are just a couple of issues with attempt #2. The biggest issue with this pen which will be easy to fix next time is the number of threads. This pen could cause carpal tunnel syndrome since it takes about 10 twists to screw the cap onto the body.:redface: I could probably part off about half of the threads. It is alumilite, #5 medium nib,and is about 5.35 inches long when together. Comments good or bad, thanks.

Attachments

• KitlessB&W1.jpg
    KitlessB&W1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 272
  • KitlessB&W2.jpg
    KitlessB&W2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 278
  • KitlessB&W3.jpg
    KitlessB&W3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 247
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

Thanks for the comments.

I could use some advice on closed end mandrels. I don't own any so I end up sanding and buffing half, take out of the beal collet, flip it around for the other half. Is there such a thing as adjustable mandrel that will work on a few inside diameters?

Timebandit

Mike thats a great looking pen, you are off to a good start!

Regarding the Mandrels. I made my own out of brass to fit the different sizes of taps and dies that i use and made a delrin bushing for them to butt up to so they arent hitting on brass. I posted pics of them in a thread i started years ago. Feel free to look back and find it. I also made the same mandrels out of delrin, and use them to hold the parts while i buff them on the buffer. Gives you great control to keep the weels from sucking them out of your hands.

EDIT: Here is the link

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f56/kitless-mandrells-attempt-2-a-80775/

Last edited:

MikeL

Regarding the Mandrels. I made my own out of brass to fit the different sizes of taps and dies that i use and made a delrin bushing for them to butt up to so they arent hitting on brass. I posted pics of them in a thread i started years ago. Feel free to look back and find it. I also made the same mandrels out of delrin, and use them to hold the parts while i buff them on the buffer. Gives you great control to keep the weels from sucking them out of your hands.

Good advice. Brass construct I assume requires a metal lathe? I may try the delrin since I don't have a metal lathe. I am guessing you thread the delrin so it inserts and screws in? I am getting ready to check out the link so maybe the questions are answered there. Thanks

I read link. Questions answered. Thanks much!

Last edited:

Timebandit

Good advice. Brass construct I assume requires a metal lathe? I may try the delrin since I don't have a metal lathe. I am guessing you thread the delrin so it inserts and screws in? I am getting ready to check out the link so maybe the questions are answered there. Thanks

I read link. Questions answered. Thanks much!

The only issue i see whit using Delrin for this would be flex on the lathe. The end of the barrel of your pen may be sticking out 4". Thats a lot of room for flex. The brass is much stiffer and are used without tailstock support so i can shape everything nicely. You can turn brass, or even aluminum on your wood lathe, just gonna take longer.

I make my mandrels out of aluminum rod I bought at Lowes. I turned them to size on my wood lathe, then threaded them with the same dies I use on pens. I have them in several sizes and lengths.

Peter Fab

Mike,
Nice pen!!!
You could just make a jam chuck from hardwood. Friction fit ( jam inside the pen part) and that will hold the pen parts for sanding and buffing.
Make different sizes as needed, they are reusable for many pens. No threads needed and the pen parts come up against a wood shoulder tapered down to below final diameter.
Looking forward to seeing your third pen.
Peter F.

Hendu3270

Pen looks great. That's the main thing I'll be changes on my prcedure as well....lessen the number of turns on the threads.

That's a Brooks blank, isn't it?

MikeL

Thanks for the great advice and comments. Just one of many values to IAP--free advice.

Chris, what a compliment thinking that is a Brooks blank. His blanks are awesome. However, That was made by me using black and white alumilite clear.

Hendu3270

Thanks for the great advice and comments. Just one of many values to IAP--free advice.

Chris, what a compliment thinking that is a Brooks blank. His blanks are awesome. However, That was made by me using black and white alumilite clear.

Well, in that case don't adjust your procedure! It looks great!

Charlie_W

Very nice! Keep it up!
Arizona Silhouette has some nice closed end mandrels.
You may be better off on the kitless with the suggestions already given. You are free to size them as needed.

Top Bottom