Kitchens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Kitchens. Being I am asking these questions why not add one more and will keep it separate from the painting rooms one. What does everyone do with the kitchen walls?? Do you paint them or wall paper?? Right now mine are wall paper but that all comes out. The cabinets will be a light colored tan wood. Also what about floor covering in Kitchen. Imitation wood or imitation tile. Basically 2 walls showing. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomas

Having papered a number of walls in the past, I am firmly in favor of high quality paint. My rationale in two fold. Most walls these days are textured to a certain extent. If you don't want bumpy paper, you must sand, level, or use a leveling liner paper under the finish paper. Although they claim that wall paper can be painted over, it looks like, well, painted paper. if you sand or level there is a fair amount of prep and cleanup.

IMHO.

Tomas

Alan Morrison

John, if you paint then washable paint would be my choice. I have never thought to paper a kitchen, what with all that steam.

Charlie_W

Definitely paint.

Flooring....your call. However, I have seen a couple of laminate floors in kitchens that had to be ripped out. One was from water damage. The other because joints opened up.

MPVic

Paint - moisture/steam is always present in a kitchen atmosphere & will cause any wallpaper to lift or peel. I have done several kitchen floors using a high quality vinyl tile - you rarely have to worry about imperfections or uneven floors when using vinyl tile, but don't be tempted to buy the cheap stuff.

mick

John, I'm restoring an old 6o's travel trailer and the general consensus among those doing so is to use a product called "VCT", vinyl composite tile. In researching this we've found that it's very popular in homes also. Anytime you've seen a floor with custom patterns it's probably VCT. It is available in several sizes and it's relatively easy to cut for laying patterns. It does have to be glued whereas a good vinyl floor is perimeter glued.
It also had to be sealed periodically and it's labor intensive when it comes to installing so may not be something you'd consider. If you're just wanting a good long lasting floor I'd consider a good quality vinyl or even some of the new vinyl that mimics wood floors.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jttheclockman

I believe the steam thing is what did the paper on the walls now in. They all opened up at seams and started to roll back. Paper is out then for sure. Maybe leaning to wainscoting and paint on top. My mind is going to be on overload this year. I thought last year was trying when I was picking siding, doors, roofing, and front stone work.

Top Bottom