Kit Reviews

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

Sorry if this exists but I can't find one so I'll ask. Does anyone know of a compilation of reviews of various kits. There are so many and it would be useful to see what others think of them before going off and buying them. Something like this for a slimline: Basic kit, fairly easy, have to be careful seating the transmission, easier in than out, can be modified and many samples of modifications on line.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

To my knowledge there is no single source of this type of information, too many suppliers and kits. Searching on IAP is probably your best bet. Some vendors have reviews incorporated with their website, but a word of caution because these reviews can be manipulated by the vendor to make things seem better than reality (i.e. negative reviews withheld or otherwise suppressed from view).

I think it would be cool if we could crowd source this type of information using the IAP bushing/tube app. The app is already probably the broadest source of kit information available. But I know that creating and curating anything new like this would require a lot of effort...

magpens

If there is a particular kit that you are interested in buying and trying, then you could ask here on IAP about others' opinions of that kit.

There are many very knowledgeable people here and many anxious to help with just the matter you are raising.

I have used this IAP "expertise resource" in this way several times and been very grateful for the helpful responses I received.

Am confident you will get some useful info also.

Good luck !

Kenny Durrant

It's a great idea but I think there might be as many if not more opinions than kits. Not insinuating anything about turners just everyone has their own likes and dislikes. All my buddies like the Vertex for instance. I don't care for it. I think the best way to check out kits would be to post a question on what your looking for then research from there. Suggest your looking for a twist or click and maybe what type of ink cartridge. I've done that and it worked out great.

montmill

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. It would indeed take a lot of work since there are so many kits. It's almost like there is a kit of the week. Good point about opinions differing. Actually I'd be surprised if everyone liked a particular kit. I'll just ask, in a minute in fact. Thanks again.

Ironwood

There are different versions of the same style pen made by so many different suppliers with varying levels of quality which makes it a bit difficult to group them all into the same category.
For example the Slimline is available from almost every pen supplier, but quality will vary on platings, transmissions, and so on. Same with the Sierras and Cigars and others.

GraiDawg

if i had to venture an opinion, i would say, the only constant would be USUALLY, the most expensive version of a kit is the best, for example berea sierras seem to be better made than the copies. honestly though i suspect most turners are like me our opinion changes over time

mick

When I lived closer I'd go to Woodcraft and buy one kit if there was a style I was interested in. I'd make it and if I liked it I would order some from one of our suppliers. Saves you a lot of wasted money if you order a bunch of kits you end up not liking. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom