Kit Knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paps

paps

Ran across some knife kits I have left over from when I was learning how to make folders. Used to be heavy into knife making but have been away from it for a few years. Kind of gettin the urge to crank it back up now that I have more time. Decided I'd put one of these kits together to see if I could still do it. It's a button lock from knifekits.com with redwood burl scales and a little filework. Thanks for the look.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 383
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

I love that lil knife it sure is sweet looking!!! I am about to try some fixed blades first before a folder!!!

paps

Thanks for the kind words. These kits are not too difficult to put together. A basic kit comes with all the metal parts needed. You have to add the handles or else purchase them as an add on. Also, the back spine is an add on item too if you want to try your hand at filework. Kits come standard with standoffs to hold the liners apart. There's lots you can do to modify or embellish the kit. For this one, I added my own scales, dovetailed the bolsters, and did the filework on the back spine. Filework was done with a triangular file and round file. You could also filework the liners if you desire. They are fun to put together. Button lock is a little more challenging than the liner locks but not too terribly difficult. Fixed blade kits are also available if you don't have the tools to cut grind and heat treat your own blades. Putting together kits is a great way to learn.

OOPS

Excellent workmanship. I took a class at Woodcraft and made my first knife just recently. (a fixed blade) It was a thoroughly enjoyable project and seemed almost easy in comparison to making pens, in that any small errors you make can be "ground off" so that they are not noticeable. Hard to do that with pens, where if you over-sand or under-sand you end up with a pen that doesn't fit properly. On second thought, maybe it is all the close attention to detail while making pens that just made the knife project seem easy?

Thanks for posting.

paps

Woodlvr

Thanks for the links Phil. I am interested in knife making also. I must be missing something as I cannot find any kits that start with FL. Thanks.

paps

For anybody interested in learning to make knives, here are a couple sites where you can read up on it. Just about everything you'd want to know about making knives can be found with a little digging:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=669

http://knifenetwork.com/pages/index.shtml

I should warn you though, it is expensive to get started in knifemaking. Not too bad if you want to stick with kits, but to make them from scratch will cost you. And, like pens, you will likely become bored with kits after a while and want to make your own creations. Here's one done up from scratch...

Attachments

• 226 cropped.jpg
    226 cropped.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 142
Top Bottom