Kit Ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I got these great blanks for Christmas this year from my sister. I'm looking for some ideas of what kits would go well with them. I usually end up trimming off the ends of my more bland blanks, but with these hybrids I'm hoping to find something that uses more of the blank than normal so I don't waste anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?
IMG_20200102_214248.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice blanks! There are kits for all occasions. Pocket carry, display pens. etc. I don't keep up with kits, but the Cigar uses up quite a bit of the blank.

magpens

For starters, since this is your first "public" appearance ... let me say .... Hi Austin !! . Welcome to IAP !!

For each of those gorgeous blanks, I would recommend a pen kit with a single "very" long barrel.

The one that comes to mind is the Artisan Clicker from CSUSA. . Here is a link to it:

In my opinion, you should cut the two ends off each of the 3 blanks so that the remaining (central) portion matches the length of the brass tube in such a way that the blank pattern center corresponds to the lengthwise center of the brass tube length. . In other words, the blank pattern will be symmetric on the finished pen.

Hope that gives you an idea of what I have in mind. . Of course, the decision is up to you. . But it would be nice to use as much of the blank as possible on a single pen to show off the beautiful blank.

Last edited:

TonyL

I would try at least 1 with a cigar kit (the one on top). I would try to ensure resin material straddled both sides of the center band. Then the every day classic. All of the above suggestions are excellent. Those are handsome.

greenacres2

I like the Cigar, and make a lot of them. If the top or bottom ones are bigger than 3/4", the Panache (Dinero from Wood Pen Pros) might be a very good choice--shows a lot of "real estate", and is a great grain matching display. Simple as the Panache looks, the turning has to be spot-on, and takes some work--so if you consider that route i'd encourage making one with less precious wood to get a feel for what it takes to turn it. I've done a few with blanks that i would have been happy just to display without even turning--the Panache just provided an excuse to show off a nice piece!!
earl

For starters, since this is your first "public" appearance ... let me say .... Hi Austin !! . Welcome to IAP !!

For each of those gorgeous blanks, I would recommend a pen kit with a single "very" long barrel.

The one that comes to mind is the Artisan Clicker from CSUSA. . Here is a link to it:

In my opinion, you should cut the two ends off each of the 3 blanks so that the remaining (central) portion matches the length of the brass tube in such a way that the blank pattern center corresponds to the lengthwise center of the brass tube length. . In other words, the blank pattern will be symmetric on the finished pen.

Hope that gives you an idea of what I have in mind. . Of course, the decision is up to you. . But it would be nice to use as much of the blank as possible on a single pen to show off the beautiful blank.

Thanks! I had forgotten about the Artisan Clicker. I've actually done a few of those. I gave them all away, so they hadn't crossed my mind.

I ordered a couple of the Cubans from Rockler last night too based on seeing that they were on sale on another post.

I usually do try to split them to get a good mix of pattern on both halves of the pen rather than cutting off of one end only.

I need to get better about saving my cut offs for segmenting. I would think that some of these would make good bands on plainer blanks. I haven't tried any segmenting yet, but I've got a couple of scraps of CWP Fighting Irish laminate that I'm going to try this weekend - alternating the direction of the grain.

pshrynk

I save my cut offs, also. Every now and then I make a "Frankenblank" by gluing several end to end. I've had some pretty cool results. Most of them have been given away, so no pix, sorry.

Top Bottom