Kit Bushings and Tubes Updates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Just began releasing the Updates for "Bushing and Tube" dimensions of Kit Suppliers.

The first one to be released as an individual chart is for Penn State Industries.

Take a good look and please comment if you would. Contact me directly at libman@penturners.org

This is my preferred way of releasing these charts in the future. As you know too much information on one chart can be confusing.

I'm thinking I'd then create a chart describing the various cross references of Suppliers kit names.

Last edited:

Ambidex

You do an awesome job Wayne...I posted a few months back I was thinking about retiring and was going to make a complete comprehensive list of every kit and every manufacturer and every spec imaginable from the tubes to the bushings and finally came to the realization I'd be better off staying at work:eek: It seems it would be easier to group all the names from the different manufacturers that use the exact same bushings and the same tubes, but that might easier said than done. And when it comes to all the different drill bits needed for the multitudes of applications, woooof. You're a better man than me Gunga Din...and hat's off to ya!!

carlmorrell

Wayne,

Your older PDF has been invaluable to me. What I am doing most of the time, is trying to find out what pen kits are compatible. So I really enjoyed the fact you essentially had done a sort by tube size.

What native format do you work with? If the source was a spreadsheet, you could provide several different PDFs based on the same source, different ordering. Just a thought.

Thanks for your time, Carl

philipff

Wayne, Thanks for your hard work. We all benefit from your efforts. Hope you put 2 & 3 May on your calendar for the 2014 Pen Gathering in Richmond. Philip

walshjp17

Wow, Wayne. Absolutely fabulous work on this.

BTW, do you have this in Excel format so it can be sorted to find out which kits share drill bit/bushing sizes?

KenV

Good addition -- I appreciate the effort.

I find I most often am sifting through the 2010 version based on a variation of tube diameter - often looking for length or pen diameter, but within a group of pens with similar diameter pieces of brass.

Hope you are doing this with a data base of some sort!!!

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Wayne,

Your older PDF has been invaluable to me. What I am doing most of the time, is trying to find out what pen kits are compatible. So I really enjoyed the fact you essentially had done a sort by tube size.

What native format do you work with? If the source was a spreadsheet, you could provide several different PDFs based on the same source, different ordering. Just a thought.

Thanks for your time, Carl

Carl,

I'm using Excel at this time. I could sort by other fields if there is enough call for this.

Also I'm working on getting all the suppliers that I have identified into a database that would be available from this site.

Regards,

carlmorrell

Wayne,

How would you feel about releasing the .XLS instead of the PDF? My guess is not too many people have spreadsheet skills. And I personally would be worried about folks botching up your data and publishing it.

Heck, a few weeks ago I was going to add a few more rows. But I do not have anything to edit or export PDFS. I do have extensive excel experience.

Thanks again. Carl

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Woodcraft Bushings and Tubes Updates

Continuing to release Updates for "Bushing and Tube" dimensions of Kit Suppliers.

The second one to be released as an individual chart is for Woodcraft.

More coming...

Last edited:

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
More Bushings and Tubes Link above

No Comments yet on the Woodcraft chart linked above.

Everyone must be getting used to the new format.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
BTW, these will end up in the library. I'm just teasing all of you one by one.

It seems everyone would like a combined version of all suppliers. That would be similar to my original Chart from 2010. If I do this I could make various sorted versions.

What are your preferred variations of sorting?

cal91666

Such excellent resources you have created.

For me, as a new turner, crosses between manufacturers bushings and tubes would be invaluable. I have already discovered that I have bushings that are duplicates after turning less than a year.

edstreet

Personally I would love to see these charts put in something that I could filter by various criteria and sort by other various criteria. Sadly this would involve some front end and back end coding work and very likely never happen.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Personally I would love to see these charts put in something that I could filter by various criteria and sort by other various criteria. Sadly this would involve some front end and back end coding work and very likely never happen.

Ed,

I'm presently working with another member to do just that. We will place all of this information into a database with a front end on this site.

Until we get there, I want to get this information to our members.

Great Idea. Great Minds think alike. Stay tuned...

edstreet

I did bring this up few years back. Also one of the big problems is finding compliant similar pen kits for tubes and when you make custom blanks it's very brutal with all the pen kit variations.

Ed,

I'm presently working with another member to do just that. We will place all of this information into a database with a front end on this site.

Until we get there, I want to get this information to our members.

Great Idea. Great Minds think alike. Stay tuned...

walshjp17

As far as sort options I would like to see the following sorts:

• Bushing sizes
  • Drill bit sizes
  • Tube sizes (e.g., 7mm, 3/8", 27/64", 15mm, etc.)
I would also prefer a downloadable Excel version so I can create my own sorts and lists.:biggrin:

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
CSUSA Kit Bushings and Tubes Updates

Continuing to release Updates for "Bushing and Tube" dimensions of Kit Suppliers.

The third one to be released as an individual chart is for Craft Supplies USA.

Take a good look and please comment if you would.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Bear Tooth Woods Kit Bushings and Tubes Updates

The fourth one to be released as an individual chart is for Bear Tooth Woods.

Last edited:

LeeR

Still looking for any comments that you feel may make this more helpful. CSUSA and Lee Valley charts coming soon.

Thanks for all your work.

Does anybody buy kits from lee valley ? ;-)

I have not lately, but when I first started turning pens, I got my kits from them. They are not too cheap for pens, but neither is Woodcraft. :) I like to deal with Lee Valley, and in fact, on the Black Friday / Cyber Monday event, I bought a $500 gift card for ~ $430, as I recall. It was almost 15% off. Plus they run several free shipping events every year.

I suspect our friends north of the border use them like we use Rockler and Woodcraft in the USA. In fact, I wish Lee Valley would open up some stores here.

Wayne, I like the updated formats. And having a cross reference by manufacturer would be excellent. Thanks for all your effort.

Last edited:

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Lee Valley Kit Bushings and Tubes Updates

The fifth one to be released as an individual chart is for Lee Valley.

wyone

<<--- just needs someone to come and catagorize the box of bushings I have now. They WERE organized until I knocked it off the bench. I was able to do about 2/3 of them with a set of calipers, and the info on this site, but still have a lot that dont quite match anything

Sigh.. wont happen again as I have small containers inside a large container

Top Bottom