Kingwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

A new wood to me, Kingwood from Brazil. Really attractive colour and strong, straight grain. I've matched it with a deep wine red cellulose acetate for the threads and section.
This is the first pen I've made where I fully sleeved the nib with the insert. In previous pens I was part-sleeving meaning that the cellulose acetate, (that the threads are cut into), only went about half way up inside the cap. I found that in a couple of wooden pens the nibs were drying out prematurely due to the exposed wood. This is easily fixed with a few coats of lacquer, but to counter it in this pen the sleeve forms a complete barrier between the wood and the nib (rather like the brass tube in a kit, only with a closed end). The only difference is that I stepped down the insert so it's narrower toward the end of the cap. This is because I taper the outside of the cap and I wanted to keep a decent wall thickness. I think it may be overkill and ideally I'd like to have a straight insert, and will play around with tolerances a little on the next pens to get to that point.
As I'm keeping this pen I did mean to add a clip and quite honestly forgot until I'd glued the cap finial in place. I did remember to align the grain though, so that's something…

This is 13mm triple lead threads. It measures around 140mm when capped.
Nib is a Jowo no6. They are changing the nibs to this style which doesn't have the scrolls etched along the edges. The nib width identifier is now located on the side of the nib.
Cheers
Ash
03F8ECC7-1643-4395-A68A-6BADB1D3010F.jpegC3634DBB-CA7A-4D7E-BB6D-8AAD42F8B0D3.jpegE8068C5A-2EE3-4FA9-83E9-D337812FD4A1.jpeg94CE8049-32DD-4265-A20F-6A647E4C5815.jpeg898FBE50-47CB-49E5-A87B-71F6065CEEBF.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nicely made pen. It has never come to my mind that, the wood would dry out the ink.
Thank you for that bit of information, and your solution to the issue.

PatrickR

Great looking pen! Inspirational! I love the wood and plastic combination pens you make and this one appears perfect.
what finish are you using?

magpens

Absolutely superb pen !!!!

VERY well done !!!! . :) :) :D

EDIT: . What metal are the 3 decorative rings ?

Last edited:

Valleyboy

Great looking pen! Inspirational! I love the wood and plastic combination pens you make and this one appears perfect.
what finish are you using?
Thank you. Finish is danish oil and hard wax so it's not a pen to throw in a handbag. I sometimes use melamine which is a bit more hardwearing but still gives a more natural looking finish than lacquer or ca.
Cheers
Ash

Top Bottom