Keys to a successful chapter meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Suggestions for a successful local meeting (This is a living document!)
Do's
Set a point-of-contact person for each meeting
Plan at least 30 days ahead so calendars can be managed
Secure a meeting place that can accommodate the number of members you expect
Welcome every attendee like they are the guest of honor at your home
Contact vendors for door prizes
Conduct a blank exchange
Take and post pictures
Send a thank you note to the host
Show 'n tell
Demos:
· Pen turning 101
· PR/Alumilite casting
· Shell casing pens
· Using a skew
· Finishing with CA
· Embedding object in resin casts
· Turning resin blanks
· Fountain pen preparation
Don'ts
· Allow alcohol or inebriated attendance
· Put all of the burden for the meeting on one person
· Leave the meeting place a mess

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou,

As a "temporary chapter organizer", it would be nice to send e-mails to the "Wisconsin" contingent as the day grows nearer.

Is there a way to form a "group" email???

Jeff is certainly welcome to respond!!!

rjwolfe3

Ed, I believe if you form a social group (look under quick links) and everyone in your chapter joins that social group then you send group messages to everyone in that group.

tbroye

Our Northern/Central California was a big succes Sunday by following. most of this rules. The Name tag were the best idea and it put name with the faces. We had a great Demo/class on pen photography and a blank exchange. I have already had a few Email exchange from some of the people who attended. Jay Devlina the Dublin Woodcraft should be congratulated for putting this on

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Lou,

As a "temporary chapter organizer", it would be nice to send e-mails to the "Wisconsin" contingent as the day grows nearer.

Is there a way to form a "group" email???

Jeff is certainly welcome to respond!!!

I certainly agree that a social group is they way to start the communications.

Social Groups

What is a social group?

A social group is a group of people usually with a particular interest or something else in common. It provides a way of communicating between members as well as sharing photos or other images.

You can get to the list through 'Group Memberships' section on your public profile (?).

The Social Groups list page displays all groups that have been created. You can list the groups by the number of members, messages or pictures, the group name, when the group was created or by the date of the most recent message posted. You can use the controls provided to search for a group.

How do I join a group?
To join a group, click the group title then click 'Join Group'. When you have joined a group, its name will be shown in your public profile. You must be a logged-in, registered member to join groups.

Can I create my own social group?
As a registered member, you can create your own social group (providing the administrator allows this). Go to the groups page and click 'Create A New Group'. Complete the title and description for your group then select the type. There are three types of groups:
  • Public - open to everyone. There is no restriction on who can join or who can post messages to it
  • Invite Only - require an invitation to be sent to join them. Invitations can only be sent by the group creator or forum moderators and administrators. Invitations are sent by clicking 'Pending & Invited Members' at the bottom of the page for that individual group
  • Moderated - open to everyone to join but messages need to be moderated before they will appear. They are moderated by the group creator and the site moderators and administrators.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Just a suggestion concenring photos of meetings. When you post pics, indentify the people so those of us who are too far away to attend can figure out who is who. Putting names and faces together helps build community.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Ed, I believe if you form a social group (look under quick links) and everyone in your chapter joins that social group then you send group messages to everyone in that group.

Other than the chapter members having to join a social group, what's the difference between a social group and a dedicated sub-forum for a chapter? When would I want to communicate over one vehicle instead of the other?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The Chapter forums are places to share posts regarding your local chapter which may be of interest to other members. It is also a recruiting location. Social Groups exist primarily for ease in communicating information which would only be of relevance to that particular group.

An example of appropriate use of the Chapter forum would be to post pictures of gatherings or to make general purpose announcements. An example of the latter might be to poll the members to see who can attend a meeting on a particular day or at a particular location.

I expect there will be some overlap!

Top Bottom