Keyboard Pen from Kallenshaan Woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

My first attempt at one of these. I did manage to sand through some of the keyboard definitions, which was a little disappointing. But, that's a lesson learned for next time, and I am sure there WILL be a next time. It's a great kit!

There's CA on the Holly to help seal it, but I stll had trouble keeping the Holly clean. The bottom barrel was left without finish, since it's African Blackwood, and will look better over time. I would REALLY have liked to have done this in lacquor, but my friend, who lives in NY, called and said he'd be in town today, so this got turned yesterday, and passed off to him this morning.

I did some TSW on this after the pics, and the bottom barrel looks shinier after two coats. Hopefully my friend will like his Christmas present (he didn't open it today)!

As always, comments, critiques, and the like are welcome.

/forum/albums/JimGo/05-12 - Keyboard Pen Open - small.jpg

/forum/albums/JimGo/05-12 - Keyboard Pen Closed - small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Many, many times Billy! I wonder if it didn't get embedded in the CA. Some came out when I would sand, but I was afraid I would sand away ALL of the keyboard if I kept trying to get rid of the dust, so it stayed.

Thanks!

JimGo

Serge,
I don't think the holly was stabilized. I thought about soaking the holly with CA before starting to turn, but was afraid it wouldn't fit in the cut-out at that point. Next time I think I'll just make sure the piece is soaked with CA after it's in place. I tried adding a few layers of CA to the top of it, but probably would have been better off trying to really saturate it from the start.

PenWorks

Jim, when I do mine, I tack the keyboard in place with a little CA, once set, then I soak the whole keyboard area with CA, then start turning and sanding. Allways keeping
CA on the keyboard. Fine pen.

JimGo

Pete,
I got it from Ken Nelson at Kallenshaan Woods (http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/Page?template=5153&s=Grand+Piano+Pen+Inlay+Kit ). If you do a search of the site, you'll see a few other, better looking examples. I also recommend trying one of his stars and stripes kits. They are expensive, but make an absolutely beautiful pen!

Jim, you did a great job tho you are frustrated that there was some bleeding on the holly. Sure that your friend will appreciate your hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom