Ken and his lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolf creek knives

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a used Jet midi lathe from a very nice gentlemen in Great Falls. His name is Ken and he and I found out after talking to each other for probably close to 2 hours that we had a lot in common. Both Vietnam Vets, he Air Force, me Navy. We both love working with wood but both also have an extreme dislike of the VA and how they treat our countries Vets. We are both Service Connected Disabled Veterans. One thing you don't know about Ken is that he's dying from Pancreatic Cancer. He accepted it and has decided to sell all his tools and offered them up first to the members of the Great Falls Wood Turners Club of which I am a member and he was the first President of the club. It was awkward for me to approach him about buying his lathe but as he explained, "I don't want some dip S$%T to buy it who is only going to resell it to make a few bucks". In return for purchasing his lathe and a Nova Chuck he asked that I make a knife for him out of African Blackwood. He told me where to find the piece of Blackwood in his shop and told me to keep what was left, he just wanted one of my knives. So here's what I have for Ken. I've never worked with African Blackwood but it was truly a joy to use except for the smell. Some thinks it smells like coffee or chocolate but I thought it smelled like urine. But I got through it even when I used my Byrnes Thickness Sander. Thanks for looking. I'll be dropping it by for Ken this week.

Photos aren't great but you get the idea.

kens knife.jpgkens knife 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

It seems almost awkward to say the same thing as everyone, but I have to agree with the beautiful knife and a great story sentiment. Pancreatic cancer is pretty aggressive. I pray that he doesn't suffer much on his way out of this crazy world.

I prefer African Blackwood over Ebony. I never noticed a strong odor, but I guess working with a piece larger than a pen blank would stir up more dust, especially in a planer.

Kenny Durrant

Nice work Tom. Very elegant and sleek looking. It's always good when you meet someone new and there's an instant connection. Even though the Blackwood knife if exceptional I like my Olive Wood better. Just in case some might start judging the last comment Tom made that as well!!! You do great work and thanks for sharing the whole story.

howsitwork

Great work for a deserving person Tom!

Ive never noticed a smell with african blackwood but I do use dust mask etc especially when sanding after a " paduak nose bleed some time back .Nose didn't actually bleed but the mucus was blood red with dust so I bought a mask …

leehljp

Member Liaison
What a great story considering the situation. I fully understand his willing to sell it to you than to someone who just wants to make a dollar.

That is a beautiful knife and a great gift!

Mark, Great story and sounds like you met a kindred soul... I am also a Vietnam ERA veteran, Navy.... When I was in the action was still "advisory" even though from some of the sitreps I saw coming across the wire when I was stationed on Guam at the Comsta we were losing troops almost daily.... After Guam I was stationed aboard a ship out of San Francisco that did picket duty off the coast.... was separated 8 days after Vietnam was declared an "official police action"... I've not had any truck with the VA, my health is relatively good, ans I figure that there are VETS that have a greater need for their services than me, I don't want to take up any slots that others could use.

Hope you get the service you need from the VA... our VETS deserve the best care possible.

Top Bottom